New Maule Pilot

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
LCDRLES

New Maule Pilot

Post by LCDRLES »

My daughter Electra Bullard passed her PPL Checkride in our M5 180C, on her 17th birthday today. She received all her primary training in the Maule from her instructor, Jef Hubbell, who owns a M4 220, and is a great tailwheel Maule instructor.
Her last landing was a 30 degree 17g25 crosswind.
We are proud of her and her great little airplane!!
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Congratulations, Electra.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

leo

Post by leo »

Brilliant, well done! :D

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Congratulations to Electra! Good job!
Andy
1986 MX7-180

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

Way to go Electra!!
1987 M5-235C

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

Well done young lady, well done. It speaks volumes about who you are, and your resolve.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

drak130
100+ Posts

Charlie Miller

Post by drak130 »

Greeting all! Not trying to highjack the thread but....I am interested in purchasing an airplane after the first of the year. A Maule M7-235 has risen to the top of my list. I would like to get a pre approved loan to smooth things out before I find my dream plane. Problem is 2 of the finance companies I have called require the aircraft to be ADS-B capable prior to closing. Given the nature of Maules, none of the ones I have looked at meet the mandate. I figured I would call Texas Maule Air to see if they knew of this financing issue and if they knew of finance companies that were less restrictive. Talked to Charlie Miller. Not a good phone call. He was beyond rude and eventually hung up on me. Maybe a bad day, I don't know. I would like to give him the benefit of a doubt but at this point I don't care to purchase an airplane through him. Anyone deal with him and his company in the past? If he is competent and fair I might could forgive him his phone manners.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Back in the fall of 2017 I was in the market too. Charlie Miller was not what I would call rude, but he simply said "here's the way it will be!" He wrote up a "contract" on a Maule that I thought might be suitable. I had an AOPA attorney read the "contract" and he made several changes to make it more legally clean and legally acceptable, not changing the basic transaction. Charlie Miller said "No changes" "Take it as it is or not at all." So, I ended up not dealing with him. He did recommend a very good ferry pilot, Steve Purcell, and he was not really rude or unpleasant, just did not seem to want to get the AOPA Legal Team involved? I was a little worried about that. I have heard a few folks say he is ok, and I've heard a few folks say that they didn't want to deal with him.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Never had a problem with Charlie just don't expect too much from a middle man.

Interesting about the ADS-B and financing. Had not heard that before but if the airplane is going to be used in most parts of the country it will need it and can see where it is less marketable without it. Many Maules out there are ADS-B compliant. Keep looking. It only makes sense that some people who are not able or don't care to spend the money are trying to dump their airplanes of any make before the mandate.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

ADS-B Out will be required in "rule airspace" starting 1/1/2020 as defined by 91.225:

(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;

(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and

(5) Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

In many parts of the USA it will be hard to avoid so it's better to be equipped. The uAvionix TailBeacon or SkyBeacon are both good ways to equip for ADS-B Out at a reasonable price. Interesting that insurance companies are mandating it, though.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

andy wrote:ADS-B Out will be required in "rule airspace" starting 1/1/2020 as defined by 91.225:

(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;

(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and

(5) Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

In many parts of the USA it will be hard to avoid so it's better to be equipped. The uAvionix TailBeacon or SkyBeacon are both good ways to equip for ADS-B Out at a reasonable price. Interesting that insurance companies are mandating it, though.
From an east coast perspective, that probably covers much of the airspace. Out in the west, however, the vast majority of the airspace does not require a transponder or ADS-B, so quite a few people seem to be opting to not equip, at least so far.

I have equipped because half the year, my home airport is just within a Class-B 30 mile circle. Otherwise, I might not have, and might have chosen to just avoid areas near big airports, and stay below 2500 AGL when over 10,000 MSL.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

It is actually the finance companies that are requiring the compliance. It would make more sense if it was insurance related I suppose. I do plan on being ADS compliant at some point. Being in NC it just makes sense from a mission flexibility and safety stand point. Problem is of the four Maules I am looking at are not ADS equipped. I would rather spend my money on airworthiness issues that are bound to come up in the initial phases of purchasing/ownership, than on a capability I don’t really need. I recently did find one company willing to finance outside of the ADS mandate.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Finance companies are smart to require it, that allows them a bit more confidence that they may find the aircraft if the debtor skips out on the required payments. Certainly not a guarantee of the airplanes location, but at least some idea. Bottoms line though is if you cannot afford a $2000 Tail or skyBeacon to satisfy the lender then you are likely in over your financial head so to speak. I say this a bit carefully because I certainly don’t want to offend anyone, but most aircraft bigger than an ultralight are going to require some significant expense over time if not just from fuel, but from repairs etc. $2000 to get the plane you want/can afford is just a drop in the bucket and should be negotiable amount in the sale if you really need it.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I spoke with charlie a few months ago and same thing, absolute prick. On top of that a friend just dealt with him and same story. Sad this guy is associated with maules.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

I had the same dealings with him. About one year ago I was looking for a project Maule. He had one for sale just south of Portland Oregon. An M4 with a 220 Franklin. Nice plane but failed annual cause of fabric. After seeing the plane I had a very confrontational phone call with him. I called the owner and told him I was interested in his Maule but would not under any circumstances buy it thru his broker. That if it didn’t sell to call me when his contract expired. He did call me but I had already bought the Maule I have now.
That guy is a horrible.