Another New Maule Pilot

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thanks to all for the input. Good info on the the aircraft in FL. Was trying to talk to Maule in GA regarding the rebuild but they were closed for Thanksgiving week. I do like the Yuma MX but for half the price there is a M5 with 1200 hrs TTAFE. fly2all, what did you end up buying?

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

T:roll:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Good point on the M5. Have see an occasional SIRAN when mentioning time on a motor. That is a new one for me. Anyone? :?:

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

My engine had few hours since major the first couple of years before I bought it. I suspected that a little internal corrosion may bite me and it did just before 400 hours. A valve stuck taking out a lifter and cracking the cam follower. I chose IRAN as opposed to MOH. Got a fresh bottom end, cam and cam kit, pistons rings, etc. but did not get overhauled fuel system, magneto or new cylinders. Saved a few thousands and for my purpose think it will run as long. Of course if I were to try to sell it tomorrow with 100 SIRAN it will be considered by many as just a 500 SMOH engine. Guess I'll have to keep it and fly it and of course no more of that sitting around and not flying.

fly2all

Post by fly2all »

Drack130, I ended up buying an Mx7-180A fixted pitch. 1300 plus hours since MHO after prop strike around 900 hrs. It seemed to be flown regularly until last two years where there was about 20 hrs per year. It was using a quart of oil every 6 to 8 hrs. and ready for my first oil change when I ran it off the end of an unimproved strip on landing. Getting it fixed now. Wanted a CS prop but got tired of shopping and decided to just settle on a clean airplane that fits my mission. I'm happy with it. It got me back into flying after a 9 year spell with no access to an airplane. Annual maintenance should be more manageable than a six cylinder CS prop version. I'm at sea level, so 180hp is acceptable. Hopefully I have 5 to 6 years before to save $$ for engine overhaul or replacement.