Current Insurance Quotes

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
galtpilot

Insurance quotes

Post by galtpilot »

Just got my quote for the coming year. Went from $1250 to $1405 for $65000 hull coverage. QBE is the writer and I am 70 years old. I thought that was a modest increase from what I have been hearing.

fly2all

Post by fly2all »

Received my official notice from Starr they will not renew at end of current policy. Due to accident, crossing my fingers I can find a company to cover me.

FzyMtnMan1

Re: Current Insurance Quotes

Post by FzyMtnMan1 »

Avemco quoted me $9500. Granted I'm a low-time pilot but that amount is way off what I've reading here....

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Avemco, I understand is an underwriter and broker combined.
All others are brokers and they can shop around the half dozen underwriters for you as you cannot connect directly with an underwriter.
Only a few of the underwriters will cover taildraggers.
There is a very small pot of premiums taken in by an underwriter regarding Maules as there a very few Maules relative to the thousands of C172 for instance so if there is a claim and the underwriter is only covering a couple dozen airplane premiums, a payout takes all their profit which they need to make to run their business.Try a broker who is handling other Maules and be sure to specify whether Trigear or Taildragger. Offer to complete 100 landings and whatever hours they request. Its the landings that count. Don't bend the plane. Please.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The renewal application that CS&A sends me each year doesn't have any questions about landings, although it probably should. There are lots of blocks on the form for types of hours. There is one block on the form titled "Please note any other information/changes helpful for renewal". I usually put anything in there that will make the underwriter comfortable with my tail wheel proficiency, such as hours and landings in the Maule and other similar taildraggers like the C185. I've been with AIG for many years without a claim and I think it helps with renewals. Also, I have around 1700 hours PIC time in my Maule, which helps more. My age (73) is against me but I've never had any questions about it when I renew.

The two biggest things you can do to make yourself more attractive to insurers in my opinion are to get a lot of dual instruction in the Maule and build up as many PIC hours as possible in it. Having a history of claims of course will put them off.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

I just wrote a check for my renewal. Went up from 1450 to about 1750.

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

FzyMtnMan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:58 am
Avemco quoted me $9500. Granted I'm a low-time pilot but that amount is way off what I've reading here....
That’s similar to what I got. Maybe those in the same boat are afraid to post! I’m lower time, but instrument rated. Low tailwheel time though. All other companies denied me even though broker said I should be fine with what I had for hours and gave other examples of people he insure in Maules. I was already into the deal with a prebuy and other investments so it would have cost me to back out as well.

Trying to build as much time as I can for a renewal next year!

-Brandon

bobleve

Post by bobleve »

I was in the process of renewing my insurance that I had for the last 4 years when I read the small print. It listed me as named pilot and then said that I had to fly with another pilot who had at least 750 hours total, 200 hours in a tail wheel AC, and 50 hours in make and model.

I have 3600 total hours, have owned my Maule m5 for 14 years, have about 600 hours in it, I am a CFII, CFIG, and CFIH, and have a class II medical, I still fly actively.

I am a full time professor and have an active practice as a psychologist.

I have never had an insurance claim

However, my fatal flaw (to the insurance company} is that I am 83 years old and that seems to disqualify me to fly my Maule unless I fly with another pilot that meets the same requirements that I already have. In other words I can't fly solo.

Obviously, I do not plan to give up flying which I have done since I was 19 years old so I am hoping that some other Maule pilots have run in to this problem and might suggest a company that has a more enlightened attitude toward us Mature (not old) pilots.

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

I'm with AOPA.
Hull 150K
1MM/100K Med Liability Limits
2,600/year premium

No claims history
30 years in Maule
63 years old
Sounds like I need to shop around.
Mike
2002 M-7-235C N66E

Craigh-KRPH

Post by Craigh-KRPH »

Just got my renewal quotes in from AOPA

$95K hull
$1mm/$100K Med liability (Ground and Flight) (In motion / not in motion)
MXT-7-180a
$1496 per year. I was pretty happy with that.
55 years old
21 years flying, 1 in a Maule
1000+ hours
Last edited by Craigh-KRPH on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Helm
'97 MXT-7-180A
Graham, TX (KRPH)

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

Is that with in motion hull? Just got my renewal quote, $2562, up 24% from last year, 60K hull, clean record.

I think they are trying to recoup the Boeing losses from General Aviation.

Ralph
Akafrank

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Perhaps the difference in the last two quotes is trike vs. tailwheel.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

$1496 is slightly more than my not in motion quote for 60K which is why I asked if it included in motion. Get that check in the mail before they change their mind.

Ralph
Akafrank

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

I got a 'quote' as I am back shopping for a Maule. Had a broker quote and Starr is the only one that would underwrite it.

$4382 for an M7-235
$130k hull value

ATP AMEL, Commercial ASEL ASES, CFI/II
Limited TW time - 100ish hrs.

Still seems if I am patient and find a good M6 or M7 (long wing preferred) cost of ownership could still come in less than a Cessna. I am getting C180 and Husky quotes just to compare.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

My M7 at $80,000 hull was $3300 when I bought it in late December. I could’ve gotten $3000 with a company that required 5 hours dual. Instead I got one that the policy just said “checkout” because due to location it was very difficult and expensive to get 5 hours of dual. This was all brokered through Bill White Insurance. Avemco for lower 48 was only $2400 but adding Alaska for 6 months of year would bring it up to $3200, and they would only insure it for $65,000.

2500 TT, 600 TW, 0 Maule,
Professional pilot, CFI, yada yada

For comparison, my scout last year was $1600/year for $120,000 hull, I had no time in type, and they didn’t even require a checkout.