Current Insurance Quotes

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
crhannay

Post by crhannay »

Did you go directly to AIG? $1600 is a really good rate, I better give them a call. My age may be a negative factor.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

I talked to my broker and it appears AIG declined to quote most likely due to my age. Just another reason why getting old sucks.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If age was the primary factor, they probably wouldn't insure me. It's more likely your Maule time or if you've had any claims within the last several years.

AVEMCO is a good company - just more expensive than most of the rest. You can go directly to them without going through a broker. You have to watch out for restrictions on off-airport landings in some policies. AIG doesn't have them but my policy is very restrictive on who can fly my airplane besides me.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

That is not always the case. AIG declined to insure me due to my age. I don't consider 69 to be over the hill but I guess AIG does. AVEMCO does not have any restriction on off airport landings. My previous insurer, Allianz did have that exclusion.

crhannay

Insurance Brokers

Post by crhannay »

I think there is a misunderstanding about insurance brokers. Any major insurance broker shops quotes from all the insurance companies other than AVEMCO that are insuring aircraft. It really matters very little which insurance broker you go through as the quotes will come in the same. Last I heard there are no more than 8 insurance companies writing policies on GA Aircraft. Because of my age and the type of aircraft half of those declined to even quote. I am in the absolute lowest risk category for my age. Also, you can only have one Insurance Broker solicit quotes. The insurance companies will not quote insurance to multiple brokers for the same individual.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

Insurance Brokers and Insurance Companies are not the same thing.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

Also I added a named pilot, age 54 with 2670 hours in Maules but no instrument rating. The quote from Global went from $3,211 to $3,812. AVEMCO did no go up when I added this pilot.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

I would be willing to try Angela at The Duncan Insurance Agency on Monday. I think I can give them a release letter so they can shop new quotes. I know I have had to do the before. I show the number as (903) 886-2183 in Commerce, Texas, is that correct?
It not supposed to make any difference so it would be interesting to see if that gets any different results.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

I did talk to Angela at AIA this morning. She confirmed that her quotes for insurance will come in no different than my previous quotes. She said that Global Aerospace would be her lowest quote for a Maule at my age. She also said that there are really only 3 insurance companies out of 13 available that are writing policies on Maules. I will have to stick with AVEMCO from here on due to my age as she said they would most likely keep insuring me as I get older.

Sorry for the bad news. There is no Silver Bullet. It does not matter what Broker you use you will get the same quotes.
Curt

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

crhannay wrote:AVEMCO does not have any restriction on off airport landings. My previous insurer, Allianz did have that exclusion.
Does anyone have an example of the language used to exclude off-airport landings? I reviewed my policy very carefully before signing and did not see anything that resembled an off-airport exclusion but maybe it is coded in legalese so would not mind seeing what this exclusion looks like.

crhannay

Post by crhannay »

In my last policy it did exclude off airport landings in just those terms.

Undaunted
100+ Posts

IAT insurance?

Post by Undaunted »

Anyone using IAT insurance?

If so any reviews or issues? They are $2K lower than our previous insurance for the same coverage!!

Thanks
1999 M7-235C

FlyBall John

Post by FlyBall John »

Where is the threshold for time vs a reasonable rate? Is there a magic number like 50-hours, 100, etc? I’m low time (200 hours), 50 hours tailwheel and zero Maule time. Just curious how much time I will need before I see a rate get below $2k for $60k hull on a 4-seat Maule tail draggeer.

Thx

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

With AIG the rate break occurred for me at 500 hours in make/model. I think there was another reduction at 1,000 hours in make/model. The most expensive part of aircraft insurance is hull coverage. If you can lower your hull coverage, it will make a difference in the premium. Of course that means you wouldn't get enough to buy another Maule if you total yours but sometimes the math works out that you could invest the difference and end up better off.
Andy
1986 MX7-180