Tow from the front

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
wredick

Tow from the front

Post by wredick »

I bought a lawn tractor to pull my Maule in and out of the hangar. Pulls it in fine but I have to make a sharp turn at the end so everything will fit. When pushing it out, I have to turn my head behind me to see where I am going. To fix that, I welded a hitch on the front end. With the wheels turned all the way to the right, there is not enough traction to keep the wheels from sliding on the concrete. I put 100# over the wheels but they still skid. My next thought was to pull it out from the front. I tied ropes to both struts with a loop in the center. That pulled it out but I have no control of the tail wheel so things kind of go askew. Now, for your help. How would you suggest I attach a rigid tow bar to each strut to keep everything in line? I gave a thought to using the tie own rings, but I think some kind of strut attachment would be best. Open for ideas here.
Thanks,
Bill
William H Redick

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

What kind of landing gear?

wredick

Post by wredick »

Landing gear is spring,
William H Redick

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I've heard of long DIY tow bars that will reach under the fuselage all the way back to the tailwheel axle hub (Scott tailwheels only) that can be operated by tractors from the front of the airplane either with a front or rear hitch. The only feasible way to turn the airplane is with a tow bar connected to the tail wheel so pulling on the struts won't be too effective. The tractor has to be heavy enough to provide traction. The long tow bar needs to be low enough to the ground not to hit the prop blades. I think I remember caster wheels on it to make it easier to position.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I think I would look into finding/fabricating some clamps that will allow you to attach a V shaped tow bar to the great legs as close to the tires as possible. Careful that you don't damage the brake lines.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My Maule is in a standard T-hangar and I don't have any trouble getting the gas powered Taildragger Dragger in behind it to push/pull the airplane in/out of the hangar. I wouldn't be able to get a lawn tractor back there, though. Maybe you should consider something smaller that would fit behind the tail wheel. I prefer electric to gas. There are some threads on the forum about different models that work pretty well.

Gas powered Power Tow 40EZ
Gas powered Taildragger Dragger TDG-6
Electric Taildragger Dragger TDE-1
Minimax electric Tail Dragger (This one looks promising and works with Maule or Scott tail wheels. I'd get the 28v one.)
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have an aero tow it was ok on the flat but has a little trouble on the slope in front of the hanger. It clamps on the tailwheel so that may not help you. The motor housing has cracked and I’m trying to get parts but it has been good over all. As far as hooking up to the main gear as a line boy years ago we used to move Beech 18’s that way but there was eyes on the mains that the tow bars hooked to. So it can be done that way just need some way to lock on to the gear with out damage. I have thought about doing this my self so I can use a lawn tractor to move greater distances than an electric/battery tug can do. I have the oleo gear and maybe some clamp on the main gear leg may work it just needs to be easy to attach.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I forgot to mention that we have a Best Tugs B12 that we use to move our two Air Tractor AT-802F single engine air tankers, which are big taildraggers. We use it with an adapter to move the Cessna 185F airplanes around too. It's pretty long and difficult to get behind a taildragger when there's not much room but it's electric and works well. Very expensive. Not something that I can afford for my Maule, but I did consider the B8, which is much shorter. It's still more expensive than I can afford. Both the B8 and the B12 cradle the tailwheel rather than attaching to the axle bolts. That gives them more traction and they will work on either the Scott or Maule tailwheel.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If anyone has experience with the Minimax electric Tail Dragger, I'd appreciate a PIREP. So far that's my top pick when I replace my gas powered Taildragger Dragger.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

When we bought our M7 it had attachments on the gear to use a front tow bar set up. Previous owner was using a system similar to what he used on his Ag planes. If you're interested I can look around the hangar I'm sure we still have these and could easily part with them. We took them off the airplane when we put skis on.
1999 M7-235C

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Can you post some pictures of the setup no need to put them on just an idea of what was set up
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money