G5 Install

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
wredick

G5 Install

Post by wredick »

I have a shop starting the installation of a G5 ADI and HSI. The strobe lights effect the Magnatromater and they were wondering where to install it. Anyone have any ideas? They were thinking if they ran a separate ground wire it might help. Has anyone else had a HSI installed?
Thanks,
Bill
William H Redick

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep. Done a couple. On my maule it sits up there in the wingtip right beside the strobe power supply. Ran Can network with shielded pair and power and ground on another pair. Also grounded the landing light better. Some say you need LED strobes and nav lights but haven’t found the need.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

They are doing the g5 install on my m5 they tried the wingtip but I had interference from the pitot heat and landing lights so they went to th tail behind the battery tray a couple of feet. So that maybe an option also. I am excited to get mine flying with the new 430 and the g5 . I’m trying to get everything upgraded before I hit retirement. The vacuum system weight and the new prop should offset the bush wheels and if I can lose a couple more pounds my useful load will improve. I’m pushing to have it done in time to make sun n fun😎😎
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Landing lights and pitot heat seem to be wore than strobes for some reason. Fresh grounds usually fix the problems.

wredick

Post by wredick »

They ended up replacing the nav lights with LEDs. Seems to fix the problem. I am thrilled with the G5
William H Redick