SoCal “super bloomâ€￾ ?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Kirk
100+ Posts

SoCal “super bloomâ€￾ ?

Post by Kirk »

Just read this article from McNews (USA Today) about the desert flower bloom in the Anza-Borrego.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/d ... 106394002/

If I was within 500 miles of there I would take at least a day for a flyover. Anyone out west had a flight over the deserts this month? Take pics!

Kirk

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Desert Bloom

Post by Hale-Yes »

Kirk, I live in Brawley 30 miles from Anza Borrego state park. The rains this winter just keep coming, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch each week for the past several months. (It's supposed to rain again tomorrow) I can imagine some of you are laughing right now, but that's big rain for us. We are now more than triple our annual rainfall. The wildflower bloom should be a once in 30-year event. The peak bloom should be later this month. From Borrego Springs, north to Palm Canyon is my favorite wildflower spot. I will try to post some pics. Ed

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

wife and i were out there two weeks ago for the annual TDS desert run for a week with our jeep... didn't fly there this time and it was spectacular... it wasn't peak then but is now as has been reported on the news... flying over is fun and you see hillsides covered in orange and yellow but on the ground you see different plants and flowers that only bloom once a year and this year is unreal in abundance...
Iceman

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I may have a chance to get a look myself. Traveling for work April 5 to LAX then next flight is out of RNO Monday April 8. Going to rent a car and drive up LAX to RNO.

Not sure if that route will take me past any of the wildflower blooms but it will be a cool road trip.

Kirk

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

lots of wild flowers along the freeways and in the hills bordering but nothing like in Corona or out in Borrego...
Iceman