Maule newbie questions

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
doubleh

Maule newbie questions

Post by doubleh »

Hello all, Ive been lurking this site for a while and thought it was time to start participating.
I have a few hours in a friends M5 210 and have some questions about the airplane.
On the last oil change I noticed that the label on the alternator read 28V. The FoMco regulator is 12V as well as the rest of the system including the single battery. I didn't have a voltmeter with me at the time so I didn't get a chance to get an actual voltage reading. Is It common to have the electrical system configured in this way?
hh

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hmm...sounds like something’s not right there...

Honestly can’t see how it would work at all, if those labels are correct. Unless I’m missing something...

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Alternator could have been rewired to 12volts or exchanged some time ago and not relabeled. Lots of field repairs get made to get back into operation and don't always get logged correctly or at all.
The best Government, is less Government.

doubleh

Post by doubleh »

Hmmm, thats a good point.
The electrical system seems to work ok except for cold start issues and noise in the comm.
I am guessing that rewiring could be accomplished through replacing the internal regulator. If thats true the rated amperage (60) will change as well. I will have to do some research on that.
The reason that I was looking at it was to determine if we could add charging points in the cockpit. The cig lighter port will not keep an iPad charged.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

The Stratus Power unit works on something like 11 to 33 volts. A bit pricey but great USB ports and no noise in radios like some plugs generate.

You’ll still need to know for when you need a jump. Stick a meter on the battery.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Chris in Miliwakee had an issue with his Stratus Power not powering his iPad too. He found that the panel grounds were bad. That may be why your cig lighter port isn’t getting enough voltage/amperage too. Check the panel grounds and make sure they’re good tight and clean with no voltage drops.
Also make sure the USB charger you’re using can put out over 2.1 amps.
iPads take a lot of power to keep charged while running something like Foreflight on max brightness.

At Oshkosh this year Sportys was selling a USB port for cig lighters that has a built in Voltmeter for a great price. I bought one and found a problem with my brothers 172 port the first time I used it.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

doubleh, for the cold starts try turning your fuel boost pump on, push the throttle in until you get to ~6 on the fuel flow needle and then crank. My 210 starts within 2 revolutions. Of course be ready for a quick throttle pull when it fires.. For hot starts, I rarely have to use the pump.
Let Freedom Prevail

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

gdflys wrote:Chris in Miliwakee had an issue with his Stratus Power not powering his iPad too. He found that the panel grounds were bad. That may be why your cig lighter port isn’t getting enough voltage/amperage too. Check the panel grounds and make sure they’re good tight and clean with no voltage drops.
Also make sure the USB charger you’re using can put out over 2.1 amps.
iPads take a lot of power to keep charged while running something like Foreflight on max brightness.

At Oshkosh this year Sportys was selling a USB port for cig lighters that has a built in Voltmeter for a great price. I bought one and found a problem with my brothers 172 port the first time I used it.
Truth. I had to run the ground to the airframe ground which is on the firewall tubes. It worked after that. That was the iPad Pro 9.8", though. It has higher current requirements (which the Stratus Power can provide 2.5A). My iPad Mini 4 and iPhone were never problems.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

doubleh

Post by doubleh »

Thanks for all the information! Atleast I have a place to start.
I will check the voltage at the alternator and at the battery first, then check and clean the grounds. Hopefully that will clean up the lack of instrument light, and the noise in the comm as well.
We use a usb rated for 2.1amps. I don't know if it actually produces that or not though. I will check out Stratus.
Thanks Rob for the start procedure. Just so I am clear do you leave the boost pump on or turn it off after it gets to ~6?

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

On. It keeps the compression spring in the fuel distribution spider compressed so that fuel is pushed into cylinders while fuel pump gains pressure.
Let Freedom Prevail

doubleh

Post by doubleh »

51598Rob wrote:On. It keeps the compression spring in the fuel distribution spider compressed so that fuel is pushed into cylinders while fuel pump gains pressure.
Thanks Rob, I will try that.