Crosswind landing flap settings

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
doubleh

Post by doubleh »

I just got my TWE so its all new to me, but I agree with LCD. The tail wheel landings work best for me. In the M5, two notches of flaps with 90 degree xwind components up to about 13. Im still feeling it out though.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

When I have to land on a really short strip, then I prefer a 3-pointer even in a crosswind. I can approach steeper at a slower final airspeed, which shortens the ground roll significantly. Before touching down, I lightly apply brakes, which dramatically shortens the ground roll. If I use brakes before touching down, then the yoke is way back to avoid the tail lifting. I won't use brakes with the tail in the air to avoid nosing over. The Maule has a heavy tail and if you apply too much braking with the tail in the air, there is a critical point where it will nose over no matter what you do. Don't ask me how I know this. The folks who compete at Valdez are experts in knowing where this point occurs.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

doubleh

Post by doubleh »

andy wrote:When I have to land on a really short strip, then I prefer a 3-pointer even in a crosswind. I can approach steeper at a slower final airspeed, which shortens the ground roll significantly. Before touching down, I lightly apply brakes, which dramatically shortens the ground roll. If I use brakes before touching down, then the yoke is way back to avoid the tail lifting. I won't use brakes with the tail in the air to avoid nosing over. The Maule has a heavy tail and if you apply too much braking with the tail in the air, there is a critical point where it will nose over no matter what you do. Don't ask me how I know this. The folks who compete at Valdez are experts in knowing where this point occurs.
Hopefully someday I will get to that level of expertise! For me, I am learning to fly all over again. I'm getting better but still having to focus on keeping it straight.
I was able to attend the Roundup at Hondo this year and got to see a few demo's of the famed $35000 dance.
The braking authority on the particular Maule I'm flying doesn't seem sufficient to to raise the tail at all, but I get your point. It might be a factor at or near level attitude.
So on flap settings do you use different Xwind limits for full flaps on the 3pt vs the wheel landing?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I generally use 24 degrees flaps when landing in a crosswind over 10 kts including gusts. Less than that, I use whatever flap setting is needed for a steep approach at 55 - 60 mph.

Wheel landings aren't that different from 3-pointers. I land at a slower speed, tail-low and rock the nose forward after contact to keep from bouncing. The reason that I touch down tail-low is so I can use a lower final approach airspeed and avoid floating in the flare. The trick is to flare at the right point and immediately rock the nose forward when the mains touch to prevent a bounce. A shot of throttle before touchdown may be needed if the rate of descent is high.

When I did my initial tailwheel training, the conventional wisdom for wheel landings was to come in at a level attitude with a higher final approach speed and ease down to the surface. I find that you eat up a lot of runway doing it this way. I also don't like rolling out at higher speed with the tail in the air since the airplane is harder to control - especially in a gusty crosswind. It's a lot easier to pivot on two main wheels than on three wheels. The Cessna 185F that I fly for work is much twitchier than my Maule and it's a constant dance to keep it straight once you touch down until you get the tailwheel down. The faster you go, the longer it takes the tailwheel to come down.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I always land with a stabilized approach and full flaps - granted, I have a 4 so my flaps aren't as big and my ailerons are bigger.

That being said, if the wind is that significant (say 20+) and something doesn't feel right I'll point it into the wind and land wherever. With a 20+ headwind component my rollout will be under 100'.
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have some good photos and met some very nice property owners not to long ago because of heavy wind/crosswind/stormy weather. I don’t get into a bind often, but I’m not afraid to drop in somewhere to be safe if it’s a better situation than the local airport.

buller

X-wind landings

Post by buller »

I prefer a wheel landing with the flaps at 24 deg. with the tail slightly low in my M7-235. On touchdown I apply moderate to heavy breaking using the elevator to control the pitch attitude. Even in light winds I find that I can hold the tail up until the plane is almost to a complete stop. If the tail starts to come up too fast and there is a thought that it might nose over let off the brakes immediately and dump the flaps. On my plane at least the tail will come down in a hurry and no amount of elevator or brakes can keep the tail up. This is considering that the plane is almost stopped and the winds are not so strong that the winds alone could lift the tail if forward elevator was used. It seems that all the different Maule models have different techniques that work. You just have to find what works best for you and your particular model.
Good Luck

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Seems like each landing is different as I am nowhere near consistent enough to do the same thing every time! I don't mind steady cross winds, it is gusty that will get ya! Pick the best runway if that is an option. I usually use less flap as the wind speed increases. Little wind=more flap, more wind=less flap. Approach wing low so you don't land in a crab. If you wheel land, you can land on one wheel and maintain wing low as you bleed speed. If you three point, you can still keep the wing into the wind low most of the way down. Keep ailerons into the wind as long as you are moving and dance feet dance!

You can always go around. You can always go somewhere else that has more favorable runways. Grass is always better unless it is soft and muddy! Ice makes things fun.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!