Maule or Super Cub

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Maule or Super Cub

Post by TxAgfisher »

I feel like I need a Super Cub - different missions, I know.

I don't think the wife will ever get in, I am 99% solo and I am getting my first taste of what 8k DA is like with the short wing.

Been perusing it for a couple weeks. Anyone made the jump one way or the other?
TJ Van Matre

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

The person I bought my MX7 from bought a 150hp Super Cub. He's a huge fan. Says it gets off the ground a lot faster, especially on skis, than the Maule ever did. Fair amount lighter, I suspect, but I've never asked him about the specs on his new ride.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I flew a 180 hp SuperCub in the Idaho back country in 2012 and then I flew my MX-7-180 in the same area in 2016 so I have some basis to compare them. Both aircraft had 31" ABW tundra tires. The Super Cub definitely had the edge in short takeoff and landing, although the 180 hp Maule did pretty well. The Super Cub is much, much lighter but doesn't have near the 1,060 lb useful load of my Maule or the fuel capacity. I definitely prefer the SuperCub's stick to the Maule's yoke but it's not a show stopper. Getting baggage in and out of the Maule is way, way easier than the Super Cub. My wife won't fly in the rear seat of a tandem seating airplane, which of course is the main advantage that the Maule has over the Super Cub besides 4 seats vs. the Super Cub's 2 seats. As you said, different missions. If it's mostly you who flies in the airplane and you don't need the greater useful load, then a Super Cub is the way to go. I hate heel brakes though and would definitely change them to toe brakes.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

TxAg, the M4-210 won't get off quite as short as a 160hp cub but pretty close, and it will land shorter
However, the Maule may be stock and worn in some departments especially the flaps and landing gear.
For that takeoff the Maule again if stock is probably 100s of lbs heavier and can be lightened. See "Yellomaule"s posts and rebuild.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I've been doing a fair amount of high DA flying recently (95º to 100º F @ SRR, GUP, DNA, ROS, etc.) and have NO complaint with the 180 Lycoming and the 30' 10" M5 wing performance. Full of fuel and solo and light on cargo I'm still getting off in less than 500'; 800' with the wife, 100 lb German Shepherd, and all the baggage that accompanies (a Cub could not do this). Your 210 HP Cont shouldn't have any issue balancing the scales of your 12" shorter wing to this kind of performance. The difference is what you can fit into the airframe between the two. The Maule provides a LOT more possibilities. It'll be more useful to you as your family grows; the Cub will close that door. If the family has no desire to fly with you then the Cub can be a lot of fun. I'm a practical guy and the Maule we have will serve our needs for a long time. It's a lot of fun solo and very capable when loaded to the gills.

Our mission unlikely matches yours so you gotta determine if your aviation includes the family or other dynamics the Maule satisfies.
M5

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

M7 235 does well up in Colorado. Though the Super Cub is most certainly a great plane, I didn’t feel like it was a game changer at Denver altitudes. But that’s an M7 235. That said, the M4 is/can be much lighter than the M7 and with 210hp it doesn’t quite need as much wing to give great performance at altitude.

Do you have prop options with the 210? That could be a game changer.

But, if I didn’t intend on fly cross country or carry more than 1 person I would absolutely fly a Cub over the Maule. But alas I need the space, payload and speed of the Maule for now.

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

Like DeltaRomeo, I fly up in northern NM a lot. AXX, SKX SRR, etc, a good bit with both a M5 180C and a M4 220, as well as a C 180. They all have their limitations on high DA fields, but will all perform adequately if flown within their limits. Hell, we flew a KingAir 350 out of SKX yesterday that struggled some.
BUT, I’ve never flown a SuperCub, but have a good bit of time in a PA-12 160.
We don’t even consider flying it up there because of speed and payload limitations. Just wouldn’t work for me. Ol’ Maule is hard to beat for us

Les

Fightin’ Texas Aggie class of ‘84
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

It is interesting that the Maule is most often compared to a Super Cub or a Cessna 180. That alone says much about the Maule. Super Cub or Cessna 180 cannot be further apart. Yet the Maule fits in the middle, comfortably enough, to be compared to both ends of the spectrum. Kudos to Maule.
Tom K.

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

Never really thought of it that way, but you’re exactly correct, Tomkatz. It fills that spot superbly.
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

I cannot imagine an aircraft in my price range that has the ability to do as much as my Maule.
That being said, I picked up a PA-12 to rattle around locally solo. Fun toy.
It’s no Maule.
79 M5 235Turbo

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Price is definitely a factor to consider. I bought my M-4 for $40K with 8.5's, 31" Bushwheels, Skis and Floats... Well, the floats were trash but that is another story. Up here you'd be lucky to touch a good Cub for less than $100K.

Like said above, if it were just me, I'd probably rather fly a Cub but what I do and the loads I carry sometimes, the Maule just fits my mission profile better and it does everything I ask of it.

In the end, Cubs can get into places I am just not comfortable trying. And yes, my skill and confidence level have something to do with that. I'm mortal and have bent metal! On a good day with favorable winds and a light load, there aren't many places I can't get in and out of but there is not much of a buffer for error sometimes! Would I like that extra STOL performance? You bet! But flying is about more than just STOL.

The fact that I can carry 4 people, cruise 40mph faster and with the back seat out can cram in pretty much anything that will fit, the M4 is just more versatile.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Come on KC, you know I have the 80â€￾ prop!

That’s what sparked my question around the universal wing for the 4, it’d be the perfect airplane.
TJ Van Matre

Hawgsforever

Post by Hawgsforever »

To the original post...have only flown a super cub from the back seat, but when I was shopping up here in AK, I quickly moved away from looking at Super Cubs. First, they are all pretty old and a good one in AK cannot be found under 100K. Second, I have a family of three, back seat was the only way could convince the wife I "needed" an airplane...Third, my two moose camp partners fly a Super Cub and 180 hp Husky. Did my tailwheel checkout in that Husky. Gets off the ground quicker than the cub and way quicker than the Maule, but "bouncy" on landing and a pain to load. The cub is super forgiving, but super slow, and not a "hands off" airplane. My M-7 235 can takeoff and land in 500' up to gross weight at low DA, is easy to load, fast on cross country, and flies hands off at cruise.

Like everyone has said, all about what you want to do with it...I know 300' bush strips are not for my Maule, but in everything else, prefer the Maule to the Super Cub or Husky.
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land

akflyr

Post by akflyr »

All depends on the mission. For me the Maule is perfect it is reasonably fast in and out at gross in 500' big cargo doors. Did i also say 85mph sucks.