Maule1976 M5 210C strata rocket. N336X

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
BYocum

Maule1976 M5 210C strata rocket. N336X

Post by BYocum »

I bought a Maule M5 210C strata rocket N336X. It sits in TX. I purchased it from a estate sale, but didnt get to We are looking for the log books now. By the records it flew down here from Alaska. red/orange collored with yellow stripes. havn't had a chance to go back and pick it up yet.
Anybody know this plane?

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I recognize the tail number but can't place it - where in TX?
TJ Van Matre

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Ft. Stockton according to the FAA. Don't recognize the number or the colors. How long ago did it fly out? Nice dry environment out there as long as it isn't sun cooked!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

crbnunit wrote:Ft. Stockton according to the FAA. Don't recognize the number or the colors. How long ago did it fly out? Nice dry environment out there as long as it isn't sun cooked!
I stopped overnight in Fort Stockton in September 2016. I didn't see any planes sitting out on the ramp.

BYocum

Maule M-5

Post by BYocum »

It was setting in a hanger where i went to look at a RV4
hasnt been flown in 12 Years. No logs as of now still on the hunt for them

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

With 12 years of dust and no logs it sounds like a whale of an opportunity to build an Exp. Maule.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I live in Iraan, 60 miles away.

If I can help, let me know.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

BYocum

Maule M5 210C Strata rocket

Post by BYocum »

Ill get back in touch with you when i Go to inspect it to decide if i pull it apart or clean it up and see if its able to make a trip home on ferry permit.

BYocum

Time capsule Maule

Post by BYocum »

M-5 210-C sitting 30 years in a dry West Texas hanger. 1312 hrs tt, Where do you start. Iran engine. fuel pumps. fuel system, tires wheels and brakes or part ir out.? I’d really like to see it fly again but I’m afraid I don’t have the time for a complete restoration.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Before you even turn the prop (most likely already too late), get a bore scope, remove the plugs, and check the cylinder surface for rust. If the prop has been turned, the rings will sheer off and real rust on the surface but there may be enough evidence to see it anyway. That will determine how long you can expect it to run if you you get it running. Pulling a cylinder will allow you to inspect the surface of a few of the lifters as well. Rust on the lifters will grind down the cam lobes until they begin to polish as it runs. The metal shedding rate will decrease but the damage will continue at a slower rate than initially. The rust will circulate in the engine oil (think of the oil pump gears, prop, prop governor, everything in the accessory case, etc) unless it has been fitted with an oil filter as opposed the usual oil screen the Cont uses. If you do get it running, run it some hours where it's at to see if any gotcha's surface such as fuel leaks, etc. After running some, change the oil and do a compression test.

If it had a reasonable amount of fuel in it would be better than dry; your pumps and valves and o rings will be better if so.

Check integrity of the pitot static system as those rubber components may have failed.

Borescope: https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi-ri ... ope+camera
M5

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

DeltaRomeo, been looking at those scopes for a while. Just couldn't decide how much to spend and if one was better than the other. Do you have this model and how do you rate it?

doubleh

Post by doubleh »

New guy here.
We fly a M5 out to west Texas often, if you need a hand feel free to pm me.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

gb, somehow missed your question about the borescope. It cost $36 and it actually works. Have used it on cylinder inspections, gas tank inspections, lots of other stuff. I use the iPad as the display. iPhone will work, too. It has some features that took me a while to figure out as the Chinese are not good at english manuals. Once you figure it out, it has a lot of features and capability. Not as nice as a high end scope but good enough to tell if you need to go deeper.
M5