ANC headsets - hard wired or battery?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
pilot
100+ Posts

ANC headsets - hard wired or battery?

Post by pilot »

Do any of you have hard-wired plugs to power anc headsets, or battery only? I can see where the battery version is less restricted to a single plane?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

I have 3 Bose A-X's and one Bose A20. All battery powered. I've considered installing at least one powered port on the pilots side but have not decided for certain. I could be persuaded.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

The battery powered Headsets Inc is 9V powered and lasts about 8 hrs/battery. I haven't tried using Li-Ion rechargeable 9V as they have more amp hours than disposable 9V, but the chemistry starts out at a fairly low 8.4 volts and a lot of systems recognize that as a discharged battery and won't work.

What audio panel do you have?
M5

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I use Lightspeed Zulu 2 and wife uses older Bose X ANR sets.

My Lightspeeds last at least 8 hours using Ray-O-Vac 2100 maH hybrid rechargeable AA batteries. I use the hybrid because they hold their charge in storage much better than others. I can charge the batteries with my Anker solar charger (along w/ my iPad, phone, GPS etc.) if I am somewhere there is no power.

Weight is not noticeable. I used Pilot ANR sets for a long time and the only gripe was they were heavier due to the battery being in the headset and the charge of the NiCad battery did not hold well when not in use.

Other than not having a battery box, for me, I don't see a real advantage of having a plane powered set.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have my own Lightspeed Zulu 2 for use in my Maule or other non-work aircraft and a Lightspeed Zulu 3 that I use in the C185 that I fly for work. Both are battery powered and while I haven't measured precisely, I'm getting somewhere around 40 hours before the batteries need replacement. Lithium batteries last longer than alkaline or NiMh. It's a bit inconvenient when they are drained since the ANR abruptly cuts off but the headset is still usable while you fumble for new batteries in your flight bag. Neither my Maule nor the C185 at work have a powered panel jack so the battery version is the only alternative. It would probably cost me somewhere around 2 hours of labor at $100/hr plus the jack to install a powered LEMO jack on my Maule's panel. Then I would need a replacement control module for the headset. I don't know what that would cost - maybe $200. Not worth converting in my opinion since then you could only use the Lightspeed in an aircraft with a powered LEMO jack. If you get a LEMO adapter (about $40) then you could use the headset in a LEMO or non-LEMO aircraft with batteries installed in the headset control module. The Bose A20 can apparently sense when the panel is providing power and switches off the internal batteries so they last longer. You can get a GA adapter cable for the Bose A20 that will work with non-powered GA panel jacks for about $70 so the Bose is a bit more flexible than the Lightspeed in that regard.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Andy;

I am not surprised at the battery life you point out on the Lightspeed sets. I know it is a VERY long time between changes.

I often just change the rechargeable batteries just to keep from maybe having to find the replacements in my flight bag. I usually put the backup batteries into a pocket of my flying/fishing vest since they tend to migrate to the bottom corner of my flight bag.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You can debate battery life all you want. I just put on the headset, flip on radio master, and go. Don't have to press the noise canceling button or anything. It's all automatic. Install the ports, buy the headsets, and don't look back.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

gbarrier wrote:You can debate battery life all you want. I just put on the headset, flip on radio master, and go. Don't have to press the noise canceling button or anything. It's all automatic. Install the ports, buy the headsets, and don't look back.
That works fine if you only fly one airplane, and in that scenario, I can see the attraction. I fly eight different airplanes on a regular basis, sometimes most of them in the same week, plus friends’ planes, etc. For me, it works much better to have a headset that will work in any plane out there.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

That's why I didn't install the powered LEMO jack on my Maule. I use my Lightspeed Zulu 2 headset in a variety of airplanes besides my Maule. In hindsight I might have been tempted to buy the Bose A20 rather than the Lightspeed due to this feature (if I had known about it) but Lightspeed offered a good trade in on my David Clark 13.4 headset and I ended up paying $700 for the Zulu 2. I've tried the A20 and they're excellent but not quite as comfortable as the Zulu 2 or 3. The ear cups seem a little smaller on the A20. I consider the A20 and the Zulu 2/3 to be comparable otherwise.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

It does require an additional headset as I never take the two Zulus out of the front of the Maule.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have a set of Pilot anr headsets powered from the plane. I’m with Gary they stay plugged in all the time. I have a collection of headsets picked up over the years so I carry one of those when I fly a strange airplane and I have one for work. It saves a step knowing the headset are ready to go and I don’t need to hunt down a battery. At work I carry rechargeable batteries and keep them and a charger in my Flight bag . If you fly for a living one advantage is you can deduct the headsets as a business expense. Either way I fly with some type of hearing protection, I wish I had started sooner.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Remember seeing the first telex headset with small hard plastic speakers. At that point had several thousand hours on the speaker. wonder I can hear at all.

I still have a couple sets of Airman 750s I used for a while in the Citation. While not really covering the ear they provided noise canceling and got power from the normal plugs. Could plug them into any standard jacks and was quite an improvement over the old 550s which did not provide canceling. Now, why can't the guys making the Boise, Lightspeeds, etc. do that.

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

+2 on the Lightspeed Zulu battery powered.

Mostly just fly the Maule, but not uncommon to grab my headset and go in someone else's plane...love having MY headset for that

Battery life is great...I would guess the 40 hours mentioned above is about right.

Wouldn't want to be limited to one that is installed.

btw I drive a Dodge Ram (not a Ford or Chevy) LOL
1999 M7-235C

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Agree on the battery life. I fly for a living for a very busy air taxi in Alaska, and don’t find myself having to replace the batteries very often. Maybe once every two or three weeks during the season when I’m flying all day five days a week. It’s just not an issue. I do make a point of buying good batteries, which makes a big difference. I get a 40 pack of Duracells at Costco for about $15, and it lasts me three years or so.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Agree on the battery life. I fly for a living for a very busy air taxi in Alaska, and don’t find myself having to replace the batteries very often. Maybe once every two or three weeks during the season when I’m flying all day five days a week. It’s just not an issue. I do make a point of buying good batteries, which makes a big difference. I get a 40 pack of Duracells at Costco for about $15, and it lasts me three years or so.