Shedding the weight

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Shedding the weight

Post by HeavyLoad »

I looking for a thread that has ideas for shedding the pounds. Just weighed the M5 and think she's needs to go on a diet.

Floorboards? what options are there? I still have wood floorboards.

Any idea what the extended fuel tanks weigh?

Minimal Upholstery?
===========
M5-210C
RV6

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

This is a Pandora's box. Once you open this door, it's tough to close it!
How far are you willing to go?
Live it like its your last day.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

How much did that M5 that did so well at Valdez weigh?
RT

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

It was still loaded with all his gear since he arrived at the airport while his heat was staging...
M5

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

DeltaRomeo wrote:It was still loaded with all his gear since he arrived at the airport while his heat was staging...
That's the thing that told me how far I have to go as an M5 pilot.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

snaproll wrote:
DeltaRomeo wrote:It was still loaded with all his gear since he arrived at the airport while his heat was staging...
That's the thing that told me how far I have to go as an M5 pilot.
Pretty great that Chet rolled in there loaded to the gills and almost handed their hat to them with a short-wing M5. I know the M7 that won was a great combo of plane and pilot, but it just goes to show you that if you know your plane you are way ahead of the curve.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Besides being a pilot I am a cyclist. I found it was a lot cheaper and easier to take some weight off of me instead of the bicycle. I suspect it may be true on the plane.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I'ave often heard that " The best performance modification that a pilot can make to an airplane is to install less pilot " :lol:
The best Government, is less Government.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Actually what I would say, the best performance enhancement for the Maule is pilot proficiency. Short field work is very technique sensitive.

Kirk

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I am re-doing the interior of my MT 7-235. I pulled the floor boards and they were in pretty bad shape, bowed and broken. I made a new set out of aircraft plywood, using the old ones as a general guide, but the original work product was so poor, I spent a lot of time fitting them properly. Now after thinking about it for awhile, I am going to use them for patterns and make a new set from carbon fiber laminated Nomex honeycomb panel. Its available in 1/4" X 48" X 96" sheets. The full sheet weighs 6.4 lbs. but i'll only use about 4/5 of it. Its much stronger and lighter than plywood and it's also much more expensive. $1,057.75 per sheet. It's available from several sites on the web, but most don't sell large enough panels to use for our floor boards. I chose APC Composites. <store> If anyone finds it cheaper in full sheets let me know.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Victor Gennaro wrote:Besides being a pilot I am a cyclist. I found it was a lot cheaper and easier to take some weight off of me instead of the bicycle. I suspect it may be true on the plane.
+100 on this.

The other cheapest way is to sell the bicycle and buy a lighter/better perfoming one. I suspect this applies to airplanes too 8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

zamfire

Post by zamfire »

I'm all for for saving weight. I draw the line at $1000 floorboards.
You could lay up your own carbon/foam sandwich panels, or Kevlar for a fraction of that. Less bragging rights but more money left over for other improvements.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Randy Apling owns Carbon Concepts. Not sure of the cost but he has done Maule floor boards, wing tips and cowls, might also be working on a belly pod. http://www.carbonconceptsak.com/home.html

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Listen to Kurt. Talk to anyone with a dedicated 4x4 off road truck or race bike... Once you start modifying things, it is really, really hard to stop! It can become an expensive addiction pretty quickly! LOL! You start with floorboards, then start looking at your panel, that danged glare shield, seat pans, does that door glass really need to be that thick? Wonder if I could make aluminum door frames? I can live without a vacuum system! I've head paint weighs about 30lbs! I don't need no stinking paint! That radio will save me 5lbs! ... $$$
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I've got my M4 down to a bare frame at the moment with the top skins off the (M5) wings. Wanting to run wires for Aeroleds, I figured I'd buy the harnesses from Aircraft Spruce. The shortest harness they offer is 25'. They didn't seem to want to tell me what style pins I'm going to need to shorten the harnesses. "You can just coil the extra harness in the wing roots..."

Shyeah, like I'm going to carry around an extra 20' of wiring I don't need! :lol:

So now I'm going to have to make two separate orders from Spruce (I'm sure there will be plenty) so I can get the harnesses, then order the pieces required to shorten them and run them through the required ribs.