M4 Checklist

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
RadarRoom

M4 Checklist

Post by RadarRoom »

New owner of serial number 84 looking for a good checklist. I can make my own if need be, but it would be nice to have a starting point or even just take advantage of someone else's work if there's already a good one out there.
A mile of road will get you a mile away, a mile of runway will get you anywhere.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Welcome!

Master On
Mixture Rich
Throttle Full
Prime 5 seconds (IO-360)
Throttle Idle
Mags On
Start
Mag Check
Cycle Prop
Go fly!

These are simple machines, no need to overthink it!
TJ Van Matre

RadarRoom

Post by RadarRoom »

Thanks but I'm really looking for something a little more in-depth for my wife as she receives her primary training in the aircraft, and more importantly has something to use during a checkride that a DPE won't hate.
A mile of road will get you a mile away, a mile of runway will get you anywhere.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I have one I developed for my M-6. Would be something to start with. Give me an email, and I can send it to you tonight.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think you can find a checklist on the Maule Air site under support flight manuals.
I haven't done any primary training in years but what we do now are flows followed with a checklist to verify all the big stuff is done. You need to see what the local DPE is looking for. Flows work well In that you look at a lot of stuff but only "check" the major items. Start in the same place in the cockpit and check every switch instrument radio and control is in place and do it in the same order every time. Some of that will vary with phase of flight ie before start or before takeoff /landing. I do remember new students getting buried in a checklist and not flying the plane so I would like to keep them simple early on. My grandkids read the checklist after my flow so that gives you a sense of what I mean . Good luck and the kiss method works.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Last year I worked with Rich Lang (owner) at checkmate aviation on a custom checklist for my MX-7-180C. He did a fantastic job and even used mine as a template for further Maule collections. I'm not certain if he has an M-4 checklist but he is an exceptional guy to work with and very accommodating.

The checkmate checklist are used by a slew of flight schools and are really well laid out and include emergency procedures, all the V speeds, common frequencies and much more useful information.

I have found myself several times overlooking things going through my "in my head" checklist then catch it when I go back over the checkmate checklist.

http://www.checkmateaviation.com/

I cant help but wonder about the recent Maule crash that flew into a bridge on takeoff. He allegedly tried to take off with -7 flaps... A checklist might've prevented that.

N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Henderson State uses Maules for their pilot training. Here's their website that includes checklists and maneuvers and other flight related manuals.
http://www.hsu.edu/Aviation/pilot-forms.html

flyingBC

Re: M4 Checklist

Post by flyingBC »

Bringing this post back from the dead, but someone recently posted on the facebook group asking for M4 checklist so I thought I would also repost this here.

Here's the excel file with the checklists I made for my M4-210, based on what I received from the previous owner and some additions. This doesn't include emergency checklists, which I still plan to make. This prints up into 8"x5" cards which you can then laminate. (Note: starting procedures and other procedures may vary - change it up to suit your needs) https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6pxdv09rk259 ... .xlsx?dl=0

I'm also always picking up new ideas and changes to mine, based on what I've seen in other's posts. Very handy seeing all the different versions.
Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.