learned something new about my intercom....

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Stinger
100+ Posts

learned something new about my intercom....

Post by Stinger »

On Tuesday I saw a new post on Reddit about someone recommending the PM1000-II intercom. I've got the same intercom in my Maule. I wondered to myself why someone would recommend it since there's got to be better versions out by now. Also linked was the product manual which I had never read before because (1) I don't have a manual, and (2) it never occurred to me it was worth looking into.

Turns out I knew absolutely nothing about it. So I learned a bunch that I won't go into, but most important to me in the manual was something about an auxiliary input for music. And it seemed to be included on a standard install. I had never seen the 1/8" input, so I went out to the plane to go look. And sure enough, there's an input right above the copilot headset jacks. Other than one trip around the pattern when I first bought it a couple years ago, I've never sat in the right seat, so I never saw it....and it's under the ADF which has it's own issues.

Anyway, short story long, I plugged my phone into the aux input, turned on the airplane radios, and put on a headset. Music played flawlessly, push the PTT on the yoke and the music mutes for the radio, and then after a second it gradually increases in volume. So many flights that this would have been nice to know!

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Yes sir, I have the same intercom and I use my aux input for music quite often. It is really nice when flying solo. The music also mutes anytime the intercom is activated so when chatting with pax it can be distracting

Just a suggestion, don't play Kenny Loggins-"Danger zone"... It makes one want to fly maneuvers never intended in a Maule. :lol:
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My Lightspeed Zulu 2 headset connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth for music, which I like because the music gets muted when a calls comes in on the radio. However, I find that the music distracts me from flying tasks. I've missed turnoffs on the Interstate while listening to music or audio books in my car. It's worse in the air.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

My wife tells me I don't multitask to well . I have not been able to listen to music over my intercom, passengers like it but I usually just isolate the pilot and let them do what they want. That and my hearing is not what it use to be so I'm more likely to turn everything off and just fly. I also what to be able to hear that little voice that says "you sure you want to do that".
:shock:
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money