Vortex Generators, a how not to do it guide

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Mog
100+ Posts

Vortex Generators, a how not to do it guide

Post by Mog »

Wish installing VG’s was really this fast.

https://youtu.be/UT1QtRBQgQs

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Very nice! The soundtrack totally made the experience.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Is that a Pinzgauer?
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Rezrider wrote:Is that a Pinzgauer?
No. I think thats a Volvo C303.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

You didn't already have VG's?
TJ Van Matre

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Nope, never had VG’s on this plane. Just never got around to it with trying to keep my Franklin alive and all. Also had a paint issue on my tail that I was dealing with and did not want to attach VGs to paint that peeled off in flight.

Oh, and yes that is a Volvo C303. I used to have a 712 pinzgauer but sold it awhile back. Have a couple of Unimog’s sitting around as well.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

thread drift...

Unimogs and Pinzgauer's make great ranch trucks (and ultimate cool factor)! But a little beyond my pay grade I'm afraid so I use a Japanese Kei truck.
M5

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Volvo C303 is debatably superior to the pinzgauer in several ways. I honestly will probabaly never own a pinzgauer again. Unimog’s are top dog, but the C303 is a good compromise if you don’t need to attach equipment etc. though you can get a PTO for the C303.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Flew the VG’s today, takeoff was not night and day, but landing confidence was high for sure. Landed far slower than normal with a stupid high angle of attack that I could not see ahead of me if I had to. Plane plopped down and stopped quickly without needing a lot of brake. Never felt like I was not in full control with the airspeed almost not registering.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Mog wrote:Flew the VG’s today, takeoff was not night and day, but landing confidence was high for sure. Landed far slower than normal with a stupid high angle of attack that I could not see ahead of me if I had to. Plane plopped down and stopped quickly without needing a lot of brake. Never felt like I was not in full control with the airspeed almost not registering.
Thanks for the pirep MOG.

I'm still contemplating installing them so this is rather reassuring

Just curious, why do you title it a "how not to do it, guide" ??
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

CaseyM wrote: Thanks for the pirep MOG.

I'm still contemplating installing them so this is rather reassuring

Just curious, why do you title it a "how not to do it, guide" ??
My bet is the use of flip flops.
TJ Van Matre

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

TxAgfisher wrote: My bet is the use of flip flops.
Haha I did notice that.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I found that the VGs really change the Maule's landing characteristics for the better, Casey. They prevent a stall from progressing across the wing at lower airspeeds so you have much more control over landings. The additional control makes gentle landings easier. There doesn't seem to be a discernible speed penalty in cruise.

It's far better to install them directly to metal than on paint. Superglue works well to adhere them, although I think the kit comes with its own adhesive.

Mine are Micro AeroDynamics.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I wear flip flops any chance I can get. I’m sure I can find plenty of photos showing me wearing them while welding and doing other significant metal fabrication. Honestly surprised I haven’t lost a toe yet.

Anyways, the title was just poking fun.

The install is stupid easy, just follow the instructions. Plane for a couple hours per wing the first time around and maybe 1hr for the tail. My tail took longer because I had to strip some old flaking paint to get down to something that would hold the VGs.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Mog wrote:I wear flip flops any chance I can get. I’m sure I can find plenty of photos showing me wearing them while welding and doing other significant metal fabrication. Honestly surprised I haven’t lost a toe yet.

Anyways, the title was just poking fun.

The install is stupid easy, just follow the instructions. Plane for a couple hours per wing the first time around and maybe 1hr for the tail. My tail took longer because I had to strip some old flaking paint to get down to something that would hold the VGs.
Mog, My brother has a quote he loves to use, "You know you've made it when, you can wear flip flops to work" He owns a float plane business...

Would you mind posting a picture or two of the VG's on the tail. Thanks

andy wrote:I found that the VGs really change the Maule's landing characteristics for the better, Casey. They prevent a stall from progressing across the wing at lower airspeeds so you have much more control over landings. The additional control makes gentle landings easier. There doesn't seem to be a discernible speed penalty in cruise.
Thanks Andy. It sounds like I need to move VG's closer to the "get it done soon" list rather than the "to-do" list. Both list are growing rapidly. Now only to decide what color 8)
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C