Vortex Generators, a how not to do it guide

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
DAT

Post by DAT »

Does anyone know how far back from the leading edge of the wing my Micro Vgs need to be? I have an M 4 220C with the 30’8â€￾ wingspan. My kit has the tail placement tool but not the one for the wing.
Maule M4 220C

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Read the STC Installation manual
TimB

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yes, the manual very specifically tells you where to install the wing templates. I would read the manual front to back a few times before starting install.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Read the manual and then realize the diagram is is a "Generic Maule Wing" meaning the outboard placement seam might not be where you think it is. If in doubt take a picture and have someone verify the proper placement of the templates BEFORE you start gluing.... Ask me how I know..... It seemed straight forward, so I thought...…

James

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Love the music! Keep in mind the VG mounting is only as strong as your weakest paint layer...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Maule over MI

Post by Maule over MI »

Bought my VG’s at Sun N Fun
Next weeks project :D
Terry Laurain
M4-220c
N40309

DAT

Post by DAT »

Neither the manual nor the alignment tool were in the box. I contacted Micro and sent them the info they need to send me the manual and tool. Hopefully, the material they send me will answer my question. I've installed some vg's on a Kitfox but I had to calculate the distance from the leasing edge by using a measurement that was a percentage of the wing cord.

I appreciate the help.
Maule M4 220C

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yeah, the Maule being certified has a very detailed set of instructions and exact placement of the VG’s. The Kitfox can be done several ways from what I understand.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I would think that removing the paint before gluing a vortex generator fin would be important to longevity, but I know that isn't easy. Mine were glued before the wings were painted and they've held very well over the last 9 years. If they're glued on top of a layer of paint, then the adhesion strength of the paint could be an issue, especially if it's old. What do others who have added them think?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have found a lot of VG's over the years, usually with a failed layer of paint still attached. They make great spares so thanks to everyone who loses them! Mine were installed on a bare wing and I have only lost one from the underside of the tail. The rock took some fabric with it and the new VG is attached to the patch...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

I’ve stuck VGs on two Cessnas and a Maule in the past few years. All on top of the paint, and I never had one fall off. Maybe just lucky...
MX-7-180 N280SA