Ground loop

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
taildragger
100+ Posts

Ground loop

Post by taildragger »

Well no other way to say it other than I screwed up today. Bounced a landing and ground looped in a crosswind and went off a runway into some snow and up on my nose. No excuses, all my fault. 1975 M5 210C. Guess putting out feelers for a prop, spinner, top and bottom cowl and right wing tip to what might be available and cost. Thanks for any help or advice on best road to fixing it. Located in mid-Michigan.

Scott Herrema

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Scott,

Those of us who think we're immune are, without a doubt, the next ones this will happen to. Sorry about the incident. Don't beat yourself up. We're all a half-second away from the same.

taildragger
100+ Posts

Overconfidence

Post by taildragger »

Thanks for the kind words. Not beating myself up to bad. It is what it is. Thankfully no one is hurt. I have about 1200 hours tailwheel and about 500 of that is in this Maule and this the first time I have ever gone thru this. Easy to reflect back on things to do different now. No in motion insurance so I will have to cover it. My mechanic is coming Monday to assess. I'm not sure if the cowling is repairable or not and weather it is best to repair the prop or get another. I was just going to get the word out if there was any one with what I might need. It is the Continental IO 360 D. Thanks.

Scott

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just a good excuse to get a new Carbon cowl and wing tips.

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

From Yellowmaule

On a related note, Carbon Concepts(907) 244-7505, has the molds for the droop tips. He has made me a set that were a great deal higher quality and almost half the price of the factory tips. They are also 1/5th the weight @2.1# each including paint and fastners.
Oh, and no 6-8 month lead time. Shocked
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Be an excellent time to upgrade to an 82" prop as well!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I assume that means it was a prop strike as well... Grim. Hope you have the VAR crank and the new, "heavy" engine case. If not, it might be cheaper or as cheap to look at a factory reman zero time engine. The plus side is it comes with a new alternator, mags and a lightweight starter. Ask me how I know... Sorry this happened! As said above, we are all in line. Glad everyone is OK.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

I put a fresh IO-360DB on mine. the DB is the latest version. Had to get it signed off by a DER. But it's also cheaper to get a DB built then the D version. I'm guessing because of the parts availability.

Not sure but I think the DB also has more approved prop combos?

taildragger
100+ Posts

Update

Post by taildragger »

Thanks everyone. Here is an update on where things are at. Wingtip damage is only a light scrape and easily repairable. Cowling is off and my mechanic says easily repairable and at a fiberglass glass to get fixed. Prop is at H and S Propeller and at first appearance is repairable until they open it up for overhaul. Crankshaft dial indicated excellent so the plan is to get all back together in a couple weeks and back home. My mechanic is pretty set on sticking with the original prop because that is the only certified one for the airframe. What other props at a reasonable price are available that can be approved without a lot of trouble in case mine can't be repaired. It is the Continental IO 360 D. Thank you again everyone.

Scott

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

The long prop will turn your M5 into a rocket!
Let Freedom Prevail

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

D2A34C203 at 82" is what I have approved on mine. You will love it.

Got zero time overhauled prop from these guys:

Western Aircraft Propeller Service Inc.
(503) 667-8865
Western Aircraft Propeller
30 years in business
1610 NW Perimeter Way
Troutdale, OR 97060-9548

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

crbnunit wrote:D2A34C203 at 82" is what I have approved on mine. You will love it.
Can we ask how much that set you back?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

About $5K if I remember correctly and about $300 for the paperwork and spinner/backing plate I think. Not cheap but a decent performance gain and probably not much more than finding a usable unobtanium original 76".