Windy.com

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Windy.com

Post by crbnunit »

Has anyone played with this site. Seems pretty handy to get a feel for the airflow around your local area and region. Search by city or airport.

www.windy.com
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I've been playing with that a bit, too. I've been particularly interested in its ability to forecast wind (or at least general wind patterns) for any lat/long coordinate that you select - nice potential tool for backcountry flying. So far, for a couple of beach areas that I've been flying to on the west side of Cook Inlet, it seems fairly accurate. I'll be curious to see how accuracy fares in more mountainous areas with highly localized winds.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I was looking at it today and noticed something missing: it used to give the winds for various altitudes. either they removed that feature or they changed the look and I can't find it.

EDIT: I found it; it has changed. I really like the wind direction and speeds indicated for various altitudes as it helps plan a cruising altitude for best wind.
Last edited by DeltaRomeo on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M5

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

I have it as an App on my iPhone & iPad. For the last year I’ve used it, I find it way more accurate than the TAF’s.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

This is another program I find handy and it is at least, if not more accurate than local news weather as far as future predictions out to 10 days...

It is really handy to see what is happening in your area right now, real time as it incorporates citizen weather stations all over the area.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap? ... alwx_wumap
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Long time and frequent user of Windy.com (used to be called Windytv) and weather underground, here. I've personally never meshed well with NOAA's website and/or features. I find it very clunky, and user unfriendly. Not to mention difficult to memorize the symbols and acronyms while trying to read the maps. I'm not sure what type of Voodoo magic windy.com uses but I find it very interesting and Mesmerizing.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Other than a handfull of balloons they launch periodically to gather weather data aloft, I haven't been able to determine what they are using for a source to create the wind maps.
M5

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

DeltaRomeo it's got me stumped too, I guess it's the same witchcraft/sorcery that thishere internet thing works through ( I don't worry which way the gears spin inside the box as long as it goes in the direction I expect it to when I dump the clutch & stomp the gas) :wink:
The best Government, is less Government.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I'll check it out. For in flight cruise altitude planning ForeFlight helps there. This site may be useful for bicycling. Windspeed and direction almost as much of a factor there as in flying.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

I’ve used it for a while. As a “visual learnerâ€￾ it helps me see what’s brewing in valleys n such.
Helped with sailing old dory in the sound too!
79 M5 235Turbo