Factory new Long Wing, Long Flap Maule

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Delta Romeo,

I have never had a load in our current maule that was too aft heavy. When I go into really short strips to pick up a load I am completely strippped down as light as I can get the plane and it's at those times I want less weight on the nose. That is why I am looking for every way to strip weight off the nose. MT prop, denso alternator, carbon cowling. I would love to put on a rear mounted alt and get rid of the belt adaptor on the ring gear. We will see what maule is willing to do.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Anyone know how much weight you would save by switching to the Carbon Concepts carbon fiber wing tips?
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

BA-ZINGA!!!!!! :shock: WOW! Now there is a true shining example of what can happen when all the stops are pulled and some creative minds and talent come together for one great cause! Exceptional aircraft DirtDobber. Thanks for giving us all something to dream about, and drool over :mrgreen:
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

Thanks for the kind words. Y'all please understand that I didn't post this stuff to show off. We finished the plane in June 2016, and I've been reluctant to post about it for fear of being regarded as proud or bragging. However, I am glad to share with those genuinely interested. In fact, I think this is the first time I've actually posted pictures or much info about the build.

My wing skins are the heavy skin. I think it's .025. The light skin is .020. Is that right?

Since the panel picture was taken, I have changed the transponder out to the GTX345. It displays on my 796 and Ipad via Garmin Flightstream. That is pretty slick stuff. I never realized how many airplanes I did't see until I had traffic on the panel.

I'm really interested in how aggressive Maule will get with modifications out of the factory. I think its in their best interest to get progressive if they ever expect to grow their market share.

Isaac, I can't wait to see how your new plane turns out and see if they deliver on time. Sounds like it will be an awesome machine and it'll look tough with that paint job. When it gets ready, and if you find yourself too busy to come fetch it, I'm sure I could be convinced to ferry it to you...I've got plenty of long wing on 35s time :D

Ajak, the carbon fiber wingtips weigh right at half of what the fiberglass tips weigh. I think the fiberglass tips are +/- 10# each?

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

DirtDobber, I believe I may speak for more than just myself here, but I don't think you're bragging at all. We all understand it takes an immense amount of time, creativity, effort, organization, coordination, money, and materials to pull off something like you have, and you better believe I'd be as proud as a brand new papa to own something like you have there. You deserve to be proud of it.

It is nice to be able to look at something that has already come to fruition as a "what could be". You never know what inspiration another individual could draw from what you've already done and come up with something neat that could benefit us all.

I really appreciate this forum with regard to the fact that we're a small tight knit community with a common interest and we are able to share and gain knowledge to benefit these wonderful flying machines we've all come to love.

I can't wait to see Isaac's new build. So much so, that I'd be willing to fly down to Moultrie GA just to see it depart on its "delivery day"
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Absolutely gorgeous airplane!!

It looks like you have only shoulder and lap harness rather than 4 point.
Not being judgmental, just wondering why since no other expense was spared.
1999 M7-235C

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Undaunted wrote:Absolutely gorgeous airplane!!

4pt harness is more likely to kill you... 3 or 5 pt only

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Agreed,

Submarine.
79 M5 235Turbo

DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

Undaunted wrote:Absolutely gorgeous airplane!!

Yep. Agree with the two previous posts. Even though I haven't ever been killed by a 4 point submarine before, I've heard it can happen. My research pointed me to go either 3 point or 5 point.

And those seat belts were new, so I didn't even get to spare that expense :shock:

skymarc
100+ Posts

Re: Factory new Long Wing, Long Flap Maule

Post by skymarc »

What is the wingspan of a long wing M7?

Isaac wrote:I just put a deposit down on a factory new long wing m7. Wup Winn of backcountry Connections worked an amazing feat and talked the Factory into building up an M7 exactly to our specs for the ultimate off airport, work horse. It will come from the factory with the longest flaps, long gear, MT prop, 35" bushwheels, no vacuum system and carbon fiber where ever possible. We hope to have it done in time for the AK Airshow and valdez fly in.

I will be selling our current long wing Maule in the spring. It is the best preforming Maule I have ever flown (but we are hoping the new one will be lighter and even better) You can see pictures on our websight and facebook " God's Country Aviation". PM me if you want details on the plane.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

This might answer some questions:

http://www.maules.com/chronology.html

Courtesy of Jeremy Ainsworth

Hawgsforever

Post by Hawgsforever »

Beautiful bird DirtDobber. Well done and I agree with others, you are not bragging, just giving the rest of us ideas about the art of the possible.
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Dude. You got a flat floor in the extended baggage!!!!! This is a huge big deal!!!! If that is on a 337 I desperately need a copy....

Also I LOVE the double boot cowl windows!!!

Everything else is ok too :shock:
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Dirt Dobber, my wife and I plane to fly the plane back from Maultrie to Ak but if something keeps that from working out we will keep you in mind.

Skymarc. 33'8". With 126" flaps

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Does one need special approval for that kickpanel glass? Doesn't look like a structural hindrance at all.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA