Factory new Long Wing, Long Flap Maule

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Think there is a Maule drawing for at least the right side. If so, just install IAW.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

gbarrier wrote:Think there is a Maule drawing for at least the right side. If so, just install IAW.
Yep, I have the right side boot cowl drawing. If you hold it up to the mirror you can use it as left side too. :wink:
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

ajak wrote:Anyone know how much weight you would save by switching to the Carbon Concepts carbon fiber wing tips?
I can tell you exactly on the droop tips and it was impressive! stock glass tips less paint and hardware ~8.1# carbon tips with paint and hardware ~2.3#! most tips have had repairs done to them. The cost of the tips was also impressive. One glass tip from Maule was quoted to me at $1,000. Carbon Concepts made the pair for about $1300.
Also Issac, Carbon Concepts just recently picked up a O-540 cowl to use as a template for a mold. Estimate is that a carbon cowl with be about 18-20# total weight.
Live it like its your last day.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Oh man! Those are good numbers Yellowmaule! How are you liking your plane now that you have more time in it since the rebuild? Anything you would do different?

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Just an update for those interested: Maule has already run fuel and Hydraulic lines, covered the fuselage and sprayed at least one coat of primer on the fabric. They weighed the covered and plumed M7 Fuselage at 185lbs. I recently saw a certified 4 place supercub fuselage weighed uncovered and no fuel lines at 181lbs. Wup and the Factory are really doing a good job at watching the weight!

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Most interested! Keep the updates coming! With Pictures! This is a good marketing tool...
M5

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

DeltaRomeo wrote:Most interested! Keep the updates coming! With Pictures! This is a good marketing tool...
+1

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have found I'm not very talented at posting photos on here. I did notice there are progress pictures up this morning on Maule air inc and backcountry connections Facebook pages. If you guys like the direction Maule is going with lightweight bush focused planes make sure to let them know.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

On the keep it light side, does anyone know how many square feet of ceconite there is on a Maule fuselage?

jmcd

Post by jmcd »

Isaac, what are your plans for the interior and panel? Will you have extended baggage?

Maule has been posting pics on Instagram as well. I’m very excited to see how this turns out and I think this is a great direction for Maule.

Joe

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

any updates???
i am also curious about the interior and the panel. metal belly? ext baggage?

it sounds like we will get to see it at the fed-ex hangar in May. I really hope that works out.
M5-235

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

If it’s the same rig that they’re featuring on Facebook, it’s coming along nicely. Wings are on and control surfaces are rigged. It’s silver/grey at the moment. Wonder if it’s getting color?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Yep, same bird
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Hi folks. Yes they are one and the same as Casey mentioned. It will have a very basic panel with the required engine and flight instruments for VFR. The gps is an iPad mini 4 in a flush mounted dock connected to a Garmin GDL 51 for ADSB in and AHRS. It will have a trigg transponder for ADSB out and a trigg radio. It will be all gray with black struts, landing gear and black leading edges of the wings. It will have a black prop with red tips and black spinner. Our logo is red and black on the tail and the N numbers will be red with black. Oh, and it will have red vgs. They hope to have basic certifications done by April 1st. Then it will get pushed back in for the special lightweight mods being done via STC or field approval. They are waiting on the engine from Lycoming which should arrive next week.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

So assume you will also need the Trig TN70 for GPS source since the Trig transponders do not have an internal source.

Besides Long Legs what other mods (light weight) are you having done?