Looking for Maule comfortable CFI in western Washington

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
El BOBO

Looking for Maule comfortable CFI in western Washington

Post by El BOBO »

As the title says I am hoping to find someone who would be willing to train a new pilot in a MXT-7-180A. Looking mostly Paine Field, Snohomish, Renton area. Thanks for any thoughts! -Chris

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Try George Kirkish of Island Air 206-567-4994 has lots of Maule time
TimB

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

appreciate the tip.
TimB wrote:Try George Kirkish of Island Air 206-567-4994 has lots of Maule time

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

+2 for George. He sold me my Maule MX7-180C and checked me out in it. Time well spent.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Yep, George.

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

Talking to George currently, however I am not sure if he is into training in a tri-gear Maule. I appreciate all of your recommendations!

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I would be surprised if George has a prejudice against trike gear Maules.

Both the TW and Trike fly pretty much the same, the only differences occur at landing and take off.

IMHO getting a Tailwheel endorsement will make anyone a better pilot due to the need to pay more attention.

TD

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Do you have any 182 time? I doubt there is a whole hill of beans difference in a 182 vs. an MXT Maule. Not enough that you can't figure it out, anyway.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

I am just completing my private pilot now. I have 172 Time from doing lessons years ago ( had a kidney transplant so stuff went on hold) I grew up in taildraggers (mostly old Bellanca and a Cessna 120s) as my father flys and restores those. My grandfather had a m4 that I got to fly in and loved as well. I just have the opportunity to buy an mxt-7-180 with a friend and so want to skip on the usual spam can experience. Finding an instructor so far has proven tricky.

StuporRocket wrote:Do you have any 182 time? I doubt there is a whole hill of beans difference in a 182 vs. an MXT Maule. Not enough that you can't figure it out, anyway.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Well, I'm no CFI but an MXT-7-180 is going to be very similar to the 172 you were flying. Don't let it scare you. I used the 182 analogy earlier because I was thinking the Maule had a constant speed prop, but I believe I was mistaken. Go fly the Maule & have fun. Your CFI should be able to handle it.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

MXT-7-180 is constant speed while the A model is fixed pitch. I certainly am not intimidated by flying the Maule at all but still have to find an instructor who is willing to train in it. I think there is a perception that it is a vastly different beast which is probably not true at all other than details you can gleam in the POH. I am literally waiting to find an instructor to move forward on the purchase of the airplane. Really don't want a 172....

StuporRocket wrote:Well, I'm no CFI but an MXT-7-180 is going to be very similar to the 172 you were flying. Don't let it scare you. I used the 182 analogy earlier because I was thinking the Maule had a constant speed prop, but I believe I was mistaken. Go fly the Maule & have fun. Your CFI should be able to handle it.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Peter Swift at Harvey Field has Maule instruction time. Great instructor.
79 M5 235Turbo

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

appreciate the tip. I'll give him a shout.
chazdevil wrote:Peter Swift at Harvey Field has Maule instruction time. Great instructor.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

An extra kink is when the insurance company mandates the Maule model specific transition training with a CFI. Insurance did that with me and fortunately I had a local CFI that could qualify. Even then the insurance company went over his history with a fine tooth comb. In the end it worked out but was touch and go initially. Another thing that worked in our favor was the flight school he worked for had enough space to keep the Maule while I built the hangar at the ranch. It all worked out really sweet for us.
M5

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

I am wondering if that had to do more with the taildragger aspect which I have heard over and over complicates the insurance process. I guess I will find out!

DeltaRomeo wrote:An extra kink is when the insurance company mandates the Maule model specific transition training with a CFI. Insurance did that with me and fortunately I had a local CFI that could qualify. Even then the insurance company went over his history with a fine tooth comb. In the end it worked out but was touch and go initially. Another thing that worked in our favor was the flight school he worked for had enough space to keep the Maule while I built the hangar at the ranch. It all worked out really sweet for us.