Looking for Maule comfortable CFI in western Washington

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I think it is pretty common for insurance companies to require 25 hrs time in type for a tailwheel Maule. Most if not all is w/ an instructor with =/> 500 hrs time in type.

The trike Maule may have entirely different requirements due to it not being a tailwheel aircraft. I would not be surprised if some companies simply lump all Maules into the same basket; therefore, asking specific questions of the agencies you are shopping would be in order.

Best of luck.

Personal story: I had zero tw hrs when I purchased my M5-235C over 20 years ago (could it actually been that long ago???). At that time I had to get 25 hrs dual time in type w/ qualified instructor. Luckily there was an instructor at the field where the plane I purchased was based and I flew every day for about five days, then hired the instructor to give me dual while we ferried the plane from Dayton, OH to Moon City airport outside Huntsville, AL. to complete the 25 hrs. Put instructor on the plane back to Dayton at Huntsville and made my first grass field landing ever at MC.

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

TomD wrote:I think it is pretty common for insurance companies to require 25 hrs time in type for a tailwheel Maule. Most if not all is w/ an instructor with =/> 500 hrs time in type.
Dead on, everyone I checked with about insurance requires 15 hrs dual and 10 hrs solo in type.
Mike
1985 M5-180C

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

yeah, that is my next step to investigate various quotes for the airplane.
I am committed to doing it but hopefully I can find a decent quote and the tri-gear will reduce the overall initial premium. So many ducks to get in order haha. It looks like there is a good chance I will base the Maule at Harvey
(I need to get on the hangar waiting list). Thanks for sharing your story!
TomD wrote:I think it is pretty common for insurance companies to require 25 hrs time in type for a tailwheel Maule. Most if not all is w/ an instructor with =/> 500 hrs time in type.

The trike Maule may have entirely different requirements due to it not being a tailwheel aircraft. I would not be surprised if some companies simply lump all Maules into the same basket; therefore, asking specific questions of the agencies you are shopping would be in order.

Best of luck.

Personal story: I had zero tw hrs when I purchased my M5-235C over 20 years ago (could it actually been that long ago???). At that time I had to get 25 hrs dual time in type w/ qualified instructor. Luckily there was an instructor at the field where the plane I purchased was based and I flew every day for about five days, then hired the instructor to give me dual while we ferried the plane from Dayton, OH to Moon City airport outside Huntsville, AL. to complete the 25 hrs. Put instructor on the plane back to Dayton at Huntsville and made my first grass field landing ever at MC.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Welcome to S43 when you get your bird.

I think Candi has a number of open hangers available and may actually have a closed one as well.

Depending on where you live Arlington is another good option if you are North of Everett. Lower cost than Harvey, but drive not worth it if you are not in the area.

Paine tends never to have hangers available, but would not hurt to check there as well. Nice option as they have far less fog than Harvey. With latest hanger rental increase at Harvey, Paine and Harvey not that far apart in costs.

Good luck

Tom

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

MauleEnvy wrote:
Dead on, everyone I checked with about insurance requires 15 hrs dual and 10 hrs solo in type.
I used an insurance company that was underneath US Specialty. They didn't require anything extra other than a tailwheel checkout.

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

Thanks, looking forward to it. Harvey is definitely more convenient than Arlington since I live in Edmonds. I'll call about Hangars on monday, thanks for the tip. Also thanks to chazdevil who suggested Mr. Swift as a CFI, think its going to work out!
TomD wrote:Welcome to S43 when you get your bird.

I think Candi has a number of open hangers available and may actually have a closed one as well.

Depending on where you live Arlington is another good option if you are North of Everett. Lower cost than Harvey, but drive not worth it if you are not in the area.

Paine tends never to have hangers available, but would not hurt to check there as well. Nice option as they have far less fog than Harvey. With latest hanger rental increase at Harvey, Paine and Harvey not that far apart in costs.

Good luck

Tom

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

MXT instructior

Post by gregorydshanks »

Most insurance companies still charge more for an MXT just because it is a Maule. But it is still 1/3 the cost of a taildragger to insure.

As far as most of the insurance companies are concerned, the flight instructor needs time in type and model in order to sign a check-off.

And while anyone can fly an MXT once it is off the ground, it doesn't fly anything like a 172 or 182, IMHO. As we all know, landing a Maule, nosedragger or taildragger, is unlike any other plane, and that is where you earn your stripes.

El BOBO

Re: MXT instructior

Post by El BOBO »

Out of curiosity, what do you find so different about landing the tri-gear Maule? I only have passenger time in a M4 that my grandfather owned so I am genuinely curious.

And while anyone can fly an MXT once it is off the ground, it doesn't fly anything like a 172 or 182, IMHO. As we all know, landing a Maule, nosedragger or taildragger, is unlike any other plane, and that is where you earn your stripes.[/quote]

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Well if Maule CFI's are becoming rare, then maybe I should advertise! :D
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

You should!
Rezrider wrote:Well if Maule CFI's are becoming rare, then maybe I should advertise! :D

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

We should have a beverage sometime and talk about Maules. I live in Edmonds as well.
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Hop on Amtrack and come to Cut Bank MT. 7000 hr Maule time 800 dual given in Maules. montanabyair.com 406-949-5709

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

That sounds good! Looking to possibly be picking up the 2005 in MS early next month, pretty excited about it.
chazdevil wrote:We should have a beverage sometime and talk about Maules. I live in Edmonds as well.
Chaz

El BOBO

Post by El BOBO »

That sounds amazing, however think I found somebody locally. I will keep that in mind for the future though.

montana maule wrote:Hop on Amtrack and come to Cut Bank MT. 7000 hr Maule time 800 dual given in Maules. montanabyair.com 406-949-5709