Mobile pilot's seat

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
PCH

Mobile pilot's seat

Post by PCH »

I had this pilot's seat problem today. I was towing a glider with my M4. On take off roll, I hit some rough ground. My seat seat slipped back from the furtherest back position by another 3 inches. Naturally, I and the control yolke did too. Quite abit of unexpected maneuvering occurred but stability was regained without damage to Maule or glider.

I have removed the seat from plane and could not find anything broken. Does anyone have experience or insight as to what happened to allow the seat to move?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Are the limit bolts on place on the seat tracks?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The curve of the adjustment flat bar with the holes that are supposed to align with the welded nodule(locater) is perhaps incorrect, or the bend where it attaches to the seat is incorrect. The alignment sideways can also get out of place if the two attach bolts are not Tight.
The good news is that the stops are intact. There is an SL or SB addressing those.
Also good to check the foreward limit bolt or co-pilot spring loaded stop are in place and working.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have had problems with the adjustment bag. It moves side to side fairly easily and when it does, the holes don't line up with the catch pin. I try not to adjust when moving... But yea, there should be stop bolts to keep it from continuing backwards.

First time up in the M-4, the woman tried to adjust the passenger seat. As said, the seat came all the way forward, slipped off the rails and dumped her into the back seat. Not a great first impression!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Actually the stops for rearward movement are a welded part of the seat rails.
The forward stops are a bolt in the seat rail or on those with under seat battery, an L shaped hand operated bolt held with a spring.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Bar. Adjustment BAR. LOL! And yes, welded rear travel limit and bolt limit forward.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!