Skis on a Trike??

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Skis on a Trike??

Post by Andy Young »

I just saw an MT-7 advertised for sale that claimed to have skis included. How does that work? A nose ski, like a Twin Otter?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I've seen skis on 206's and 182's.

I'd like to take that Maule for a ride.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I have quite a bit of time around Twin Otters with a ski on the nose. They work fine in the Antarctic, where the snow is hard and the turn-around areas are large. I've not been around them elsewhere. I know folks who've been around 206s on skis, and they say that they are terrible. Very difficult to get to turn in soft snow; especially problematic in a tight area, like many of our glacier landing areas in Alaska. I have to assume the trike Maule would have similar issues. Might be great on big lakes, though.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Trike on skis

Post by gregorydshanks »

Just push down on the spine just forward of the tail, and the nose gear comes right off the ground, push it around and the plane rotates on its mains.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Trike on skis

Post by Andy Young »

gregorydshanks wrote:Just push down on the spine just forward of the tail, and the nose gear comes right off the ground, push it around and the plane rotates on its mains.
Hmmm....how easy is it to get the main skis to pivot in deep, heavy snow? Does doing this put a big torque load on the ski attach fittings? I know that we have to be careful with that when pushing the tail sideways on taildraggers in those conditions.