Maule performance

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Maule performance

Post by crbnunit »

Nothing like a light load, favorable winds and a density altitude of -1100 feet to increase your take off performance!

I got a clearance to take off immediately for a right down wind turn or wait for an Aronica to land. Naturally I was already moving when I called clear for immediate take off runway 23 and full throttle before I was straight on the center line. Airborne in about 300', stayed in ground effect for another 100' or so and then did the "Maule climb". I was at 1000' and climbing before I had completed the 180* turn.

The controller (female) said "40684, I thought you said you were a Maule?" I replied that I was indeed a Maule.

"That thing took off like a fighter! That was awesome!"

Ego stroked. I wanted to tell her I was practicing for a head to head with the F-22 Raptors. After all, I have an aircraft named after a blunt instrument, a bad attitude and a large handgun.

What I should have told her was to keep the take off in mind when she watched me land later... LOL!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Nothing like a nice surprise for your controller :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

We all know they're impressive but its always cool to get that re-affirmation from an innocent bystander. :shock:

And as Maule drivers, we're like, 8) yeah, that's normal...
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I dropped a friend off at PDX earlier this year. Got cleared to take off 28R with a heavy in line behind me. I rolled onto the displaced threshold, feeding in the power and was off and doing the "Maule climb" before I made it to the runway. I hear "nice takeoff!" over the radio, then the jet gets cleared to take off: "We'll use a bit more runway than the last guy..." :lol: