Prop Strke

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Prop Strke

Post by wtxdragger »

I am finally getting around to posting about my Prop Strike. This happened in March and have had the Maule back together and flying for a couple months.

I am insured through Falcon Insurance, who is an Underwriter for U.S. Specialty. My experience with Falcon and US Specialty was a pleasant one.

I notified my Agent and received a call from an Adjuster out of Austin, Texas. Iraan is in the middle of everywhere, but nowhere near anywhere. The adjuster drove down, took some pictures, wrote down what happened and left. He realized that there was not a mechanic in my area, so US Specialty approved travel expense for a mechanic to travel to Iraan, remove engine and prop and also for a return trip to install both after repair.

We sent the engine to Western Skyways in Montrose, Co. and the prop to Lonestar Propeller in Midland, Tx. Both shops did a bangup job, the engine pulls harder than it ever has and the prop spins smoother.

The prop strike happened on a normal landing at 2F0, Iraan, Tx. after a local flight just before sunset. Our little airport normally has deer around and on the runway, but I didn't see any at this time. After landing and almost getting to a speed to turn around a back taxi to hangar, a little West Texas whitetail buck decided to try and outrun the Maule. We both lost, him a bit more than me.

I have included links to the picture folder, some are a little bloody. The worst part of the whole incident is that I failed to process the meat. I lost my head for awhile and didn't even think about it until the next morning. It was a perfect head shot, so no meat was ruined, well not until the West Texas heat stewed it a bit.

Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Ouch! I think it safe to say, death was instantaneous! Cheaper to hunt with a rifle though...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I don't have anything against composite props, but I wonder what a composite MT prop would look like after a deer strike.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I wonder if composite blades will ever make it into constant speed hubs. I picked one up the other day. Those things are light!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I'm pretty sure they have MT for a certified option. Whirlwind Avation for experimentals that's what I'm putting on my RV-8R project
The best Government, is less Government.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I put a composite MT constant-speed on an M-7-235 for someone a while back.

JDW

Post by JDW »

Have had one on my MX7180C constant speed for 2 years took 10 lbs off the nose with the 3 blade. Got a couple gravel dings on the stainless steel edges, MT has a new type with a nickel edge now looks alot stouter.

JDW

Post by JDW »

guess I don't know how to post pictures on here any more??

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Photobucket is no longer an option to post images on a third party site.

Look here: http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5076

Discussion on how to use Imgur.com It works and is a pretty good site. You can choose to not make your images public (would suggest doing that). Other than that pretty straight forward and they actually have customer support that responds.

TD

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I’ve done the same with Flickr. Similar sort of thing.

Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Good to be back in the air! (Sorry about video quality)

https://youtu.be/DgT9mO_fRGw
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/