Why no Maules listed in top 10 Valdez fly-off?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Float Pilot

Why no Maules listed in top 10 Valdez fly-off?

Post by Float Pilot »

I have personally seen some very nice Maule take-Offs and have done it myself on a few occasions.

I was going through the touring class top ten for the last couple of years at Valdez and no Maules...

I wonder why?

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Looking at the light touring class for Valdez 2017, it is all Cessna. Mostly 172's with some 170's and a 150 (I would debate placing a 150 in this class). All of which are beatable by a Maule. Looking at the numbers they must have had some serious wind howling down the runway. I also suspect that everything that doesn't fly the plane is missing from each aircraft to minimize weight.

Here is daily driver Cessna's pitted against daily driver Maules:

http://www.texasstolroundup.org/past_events.html

Why no Maules is a good question. Maybe they were out trying to earn a living.
M5

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

Yes it becomes more windy as the day goes on. I saw Maules parked there, just odd they were not on the top list. Plus they are probably limped in with the Light Touring.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Re: Why no Maules listed in top 10 Valdez fly-off?

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Why no Maules listed in top 10 Valdez fly-off?

Post by Andy Young »

MauleWacko wrote:
Float Pilot wrote:I have personally seen some very nice Maule take-Offs and have done it myself on a few occasions.

I was going through the touring class top ten for the last couple of years at Valdez and no Maules...

I wonder why?
Uhhh short wing. They work ok but that does not mean they are the best.
Maybe I should start a thread on things a maule needs or does not have. I have had four and will go on from here. It isn't sliced bread or Jesus. :shock:
Well, they don't all have short wings...

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Last year there were no Maules at Valdez to my knowledge. 2016 was skunk weather and I think there was only one representative who didn't have his best day. If you go back further, 2015, 2014...I believe you will see at least one Maule in the top 3 in LT class. The competition comes in the form of a couple big engine C170s with very capable drivers. Fair fight. 2018 we need to organize and show up with our best!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I hope there's some good wind there 'cause I wouldn't be so proud of my 185' in my M-7-235 with 5kts on the nose.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i didn't realize we would be getting called out on this.
2017 had a batch of poor weather and several of us decided not to push into bad coastal weather just to sit in a tent in the pouring rain on the tarmac (some) with little ones. It's supposed to be for fun, right?
also, a 172 with an o-360 is a tough competitor. they land with the brakes absolutely locked and the tail skid hitting the runway. i can't land that short on pavement. and the very lightweight C170B's with IO-360 continentals and damn good drivers are very hard to beat.
of course i have never seen a stripped down, 33' wing M6 built to go sloooow show up and compete at valdez. anyone?
my short wing M5 has 2 valdez trophies. and i know another M5 that has more than that.
also, we were all out trying to earn a living 8)
M5-235

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

UP-,
I haven't had my M-7 very long, but I do believe that Maules are some of the most under-rated airplanes I've ever seen. Maybe it's time to add another class for the trikes.

I do know that although I enjoy "Unlimited" racing, whether it is Quarter Horses in rodeos, Thoroughbreds at Pimlico & Churchill, Warbirds at Reno, Cup Racing in NASCAR, or the super lightweight stuff at Valdez, I am really paying attention to the real work horses. Show me a good Working Cow Horse, a PA-18 built to haul a load from a short strip, a Maule, or a Beaver doing what they were designed to do. THAT is what I want to see. An 800lb Cub with 180hp flying off in 20' is just like a jet ski. You can have just about all the fun that thing will ever give you within the first 24 hours you own it.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

StuporRocket wrote: An 800lb Cub with 180hp flying off in 20' is just like a jet ski. You can have just about all the fun that thing will ever give you within the first 24 hours you own it.
:D Where is that "like" button??
Greg
1980 M5-180C

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:roll:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

MauleWacko wrote:Seems like any stol competition is flown with an empty airplane. I would be really impressed to see them all flown at gross weight. :roll:
I like the idea and I'm game for it! :D

Although you'd have to stage the spectators somewhere between 600 and 1000' from the starting line for them to see where the aircraft gets airborne. Might be a LOT more leg work for the judges... :shock:
M5

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

A lot of good comments here. I never go to Valdez because by that time I am working and on floats. I did go to Gulkana a couple times before Valdez became the new thing...

Float flying is my thing.... So here are a couple Maules on floats racing off the water at Greenville Maine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SBhc4 ... e=youtu.be