Why we Like Maules...

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Why we Like Maules...

Post by DeltaRomeo »

It was identified recently that there are two kinds of folks: Them that LOVE Maules and them that hate Maules. I see that dynamic outside the type forum we have here where those that don't "get it" lurk and spew forth their ill informed rhetoric about an aircraft they have no time in and that does not fit their mission anyway.

When BD designed the first Maule and continued to refine his basic type through the years and models, he held to a core set of requirements that established the aircraft for what it is. For those of us in the pilot world that needed an aircraft that could do what a Maule could do, we recognized in the Maule all of those characteristics. How the Maule appeals to us in each trait reflects in us an identity that binds us together. What appeals to us as pilots is an aircraft that is affordable not only to buy, but to operate, maintain, and when necessary, to repair. It is very rugged, simple in design and manufacture, reliable, and has a broad performance envelop. It's ramp appeal is unique to what we see in it. It's a chick magnet for the type of gal that is attracted to us because they have that same sense of practicality that we do. Maule pilots don't care anything for wasting their hard earned money on things to impress other people; they have a job to do, the Maule fits the job, and if you're not there to participate, get out of the way!

Because of these things, Maule pilots think alike in many ways. BD and the Maule family has created and kept alive a passion that has brought a particular group of pilots together. In spite of our differences, we have much in common and the Maule brings that out in us.

Thanks to the Maule family for keeping the passion alive!
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Always been a fan. I like the big swoopy tail :)

As others, I had been scared away by tales of woe and insurance. But once I finally got some TW time and found a friend with a Maule (which I bought from him this past February), I found it's a lot of fun!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

When I bought mine it was the cheapest certificated 4 place airplane. About $100,000 less than a new 172 IIRC.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I agree, Chris. I think the hoopla about a Maule being finicky/sketchy/whatever on the ground is a bunch of BS. Flown properly, which isn't difficult, they are a far nicer landing plane than a Cub, 185, or about anything else. In fact, my 16yr old daughter is about to transition from the PA-12-150 to the Maule. I'm not sure who is more excited, her or me.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I haven't found a better fit than a Maule for my needs:
- Tailwheel gear lets you land on rough strips or off-airport and gives me more potential emergency landing zones
- Tailwheel gear allows me to mount large tundra tires to land off airport or in the back country airstrips and reduces the beating taken by the main gear
- Rugged welded chrome-moly tubing frame stronger than riveted aluminum monocoque frame
- 4 seat, side-by-side seating
- Large, easily accessible baggage area
- STOL performance
- Reasonable cruise speed and fuel economy
- Great fuel endurance
- Manual flaps instead of electric
- Relatively inexpensive parts
- Lower purchase cost than a C180 or C185
- Great useful load (mine is 1060 lbs)
- 2,500 lb max gross weight
- Lots of options available on the Maule optional equipment list without needing an STC, but also a lot of STCs available
- American made
- Good parts support from Maule

I'm probably forgetting a lot of Maule advantages. I fly a 1985 A185F for work and it's a very capable airplane. I'd love to have one, but I can't afford to buy or maintain one and there are very few things that I would need the 185 for that I can't do with my MX-7-180. There are several things that I would do in the Maule but not with the 185 - such as very rough back country airstrips.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Forgot to mention metal skinned wings. That separates the Maule from a lot of other taildraggers. It's extra weight but stronger than fabric where the aircraft's weight is supported in flight.

Maule wish list:
- Control stick instead of yoke
- Better exhaust system (ball joint type)
- More headroom in the rear seat (M7 instead of MX7?)
- 4-point seat belts with retractor reels away from passengers' heads in the rear seat
Andy
1986 MX7-180

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I agree. I wish we could buy an M-6 or 7 in a kit form. All the steel parts epoxy primed, all the aluminum machined, laser-cut or punched, alodined, and ready for assembly, Clecos, and covering. Do you think there'd be a market for that? Maybe buy it in several different stages a la Van's RV kits or the Eagle kits?
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

StuporRocket wrote:I agree. I wish we could buy an M-6 or 7 in a kit form. All the steel parts epoxy primed, all the aluminum machined, laser-cut or punched, alodined, and ready for assembly, Clecos, and covering. Do you think there'd be a market for that? Maybe buy it in several different stages a la Van's RV kits or the Eagle kits?
They do. It's called a Bearhawk. :)

Scratch building one myself, but available in a kit. Similar dimensions to an M-7/9. Round tail like an M-4, but otherwise very similar including the cargo doors.

Still loving my Maule during the build process, however. You know, I'm 5-7 years away from being 5-7 years away.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

An interesting dynamic I discovered is that a 180 hp Bearhawk won't keep up with a 180 hp Maule. :shock:
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

DeltaRomeo wrote:An interesting dynamic I discovered is that a 180 hp Bearhawk won't keep up with a 180 hp Maule. :shock:
That is interesting. I’ve not had a chance to fly in a 180hp. I have a friend in NC with one. Reckon we’ll have to get together sometime and give it a try. My Maule certainly isn’t a speed demo.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

In what way Dave? I flew Mark's 180hp Patrol and it was a beast. It would greatly out perform any Maule I've been in and most cubs.

Ya'll don't take it for granted though, I'm kicking myself daily for selling my -4. This Pacer just isn't the same. My whole life I've been one to do more with less, but this is one trade off I wish I wouldn't have made!
TJ Van Matre

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

TxAgfisher sorry to hear that you jumped ship, but relived you realize the your error :oops:

That hindsight is 20:20 or better every time :roll:
The best Government, is less Government.