Hate dealing with brokers

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Float Pilot

Hate dealing with brokers

Post by Float Pilot »

I fell for it and e-mailed a broker in Texas and asked if an M-5 they were selling had the float kit stuff. All they did is send me back an e-mail telling me to call them...

I was hit by the same response at a couple other places. I made the mistake of calling one place and spent 5 minute answering oddball questions before the guy would ever answer my questions about the Maule in question. And he did not know much....

When I was not looking they were all over the place, now that I am burning to spend some cash, they just vanished like smoke on a windy day.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The place I think you went has made a bad mark on a great many maule buyers.
I hear the stories twice a week at least. Sorry you had to go through that but from tales I have heard you got away free.
I hope you will not lump all Maule sales into the same basket.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I went through the same mess when I started looking for my M7.

I was lucky and Patrick Romano told me about Jeremy, best piece of advice I ever got.

They are honest caring folks that will lead you to the greenest Maule pastures. :)
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

I agree, Jeremy has already contacted me with some helpful info. I have to go to Texas for daughter #3 wedding in a couple weeks and figured I would explore Texas options ahead of time.

There is a beat up M5 up at the old Anchorage Broker by Lake Hood. Nobody will answer my questions about why it has such a bargain basement price.

I certainly is interesting how the world is divided between Maule Lovers and Maule Haters. There is nobody in between.

I had a message from an old friend last night telling me how a M7-235 had no range or load carrying ability.... Oky-doky,,,,

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Wup has one for sale - I am halfway looking for a 5 as well. Look on www.backcountryconnection.com
TJ Van Matre

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

Thanks for the info...
Where are they located?

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Check out Iceman's M4 in the For Sale Forum.

I know the plane and it is a nice one.

TD

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Float Pilot wrote:
There is a beat up M5 up at the old Anchorage Broker by Lake Hood. Nobody will answer my questions about why it has such a bargain basement price.
High time air frame, damage history, missing early air frame logbook. I hope to fly it to it's new home in a week or two.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

I think somebody up near Fairbanks has an M4-210 with a field approved 80 inch prop for sale. On floats I heard...

One of my young former students recently bought an M4-210 as well.

I kinda need room like an M-7,,,, but a lot of the M-7s are going for C-185 prices...

I think people finally discovered Maules and the prices have jumped up accordingly. Just like how 35 years ago you could hardly give away a beater Super Cub. Now they are the Harley of the Aviation world.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

MauleWacko wrote: A maule is like someone who shows up to a corvette car show in a chevy chevette. It will always be the bastard child of a certified homebuilt. :shock:
Around here people tend look at them as more highly-developed, sophisticated Pacers. Of course, this airport is rather thick with Pacers (which they think of as more affordable Maules).

So maybe here its like showing up at a Chevelle show with a Camaro. Hmm....better analogy would be showing up a Nova show with a Camaro. For you younger folks, it's like showng up at a VW Golf show with a GTI.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

To my knowledge I have the only Maule at any public airport in southeast Washington. When I lived in California, I also had the only Maule. The only negative comments I've heard are about the fabric. Most people think it's kinda cool. The car analogy I'd offer is an older Jeep Cherokee. Not modern or fancy but able to do the job it was designed for quite well.

+1 on Jeremy also, BTW. He helped my buy my plane new and as helped me out with every issues ever since. Quality guy.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

I was recently out in Idaho backcountry. We interacted and flew to different airstrips with several different planes/pilots that we just met for the first time out there. Carbon Cub, Exp Super Cub, C180, and C185's. I was curious what they would say of my M7. While they all had the plane of their choice, mission and finance now, ALL had nothing but strong positives to say about Maule ...and all each of them have actually flown Maules! That was simply confirming what we know and probably a good reflection of the pilots themselves rather than just our choice of planes. They all have pro's and con's...
I have found the strongest anti-Maule opinions from those who have never flown the aircraft.
1999 M7-235C

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

The Maule concept may have been developed from a Pacer, but to compare the two would be like equating each of us to "more advanced Neanderthals" (though I am convinced there are a few Neanderthals still roaming the earth).
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

StuporRocket wrote:The Maule concept may have been developed from a Pacer, but to compare the two would be like equating each of us to "more advanced Neanderthals" (though I am convinced there are a few Neanderthals still roaming the earth).
Actually, I think it's a very appropriate comparison. They are very similar in both design and overall capabilities, especially when contrasted with the wide variety in the rest of the GA fleet. I have a few co-workers who operate Pacers, both of which are on 31" Bushwheels, and one of which was rebuilt with an eye towards being as light as possible, while still being a certified airplane. I can make some direct operational comparisons between those and my M-6-235 and an M-4-210 operated by another co-worker (both Maules also on 31" Bushwheels).

Most things about the planes are very similar between all four. They each carry four people and cargo, and have very similar cockpits and overall ergonomics. The Maules are faster, and easier into which to load cargo. The M-6 can carry a bit more weight legally. They can all get into all the short stuff we do (sometimes as short as 300') though they vary a bit in ability to get back out. The M-6 and the light Pacer do better than the M-4 and the other Pacer. In fact, the light Pacer might do better than my M-6, but it's hard to say for sure, as she (it's owner) is a much better pilot than I am. The Pacers, while being slower, also burn less fuel. Might come out to about the same MPG in the end. .

Maybe the most apt automotive comparison I can make is between the old VW busses of two different generations. The Pacer is like a late T-1 (1966-1967, split windshield, 1500cc 53hp beetle engine) whereas the Maule is like a late T-2 (1978-1979, a little bigger overall, one big windshield, sliding door, 2000cc 78ish hp).

One of the biggest differences between Pacers and Maules is cost; good Pacers can be had for as little as $20,000.

I prefer the Maule for the metal wing, easier loading, and higher speed. But if I couldn't afford one I'd get a Pacer because it's such a similar plane, in both design and capability, for a fraction of the cost. This comparison may be less apt in a different operating environment where the emphasis is on different qualities.