Trip to Alaska

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Gary Raser

Trip to Alaska

Post by Gary Raser »

Hello All, I am planing on taking a trip to Alaska over Labor Day this year along with my wife and niece. We are Planing on going to Denali, Seward, and taking a site seeing plane ride. Does any one have suggestions or recommendations.
Thanks

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

We took at 185 skiplane ride to Ruth Glacier in Denali park with Talkeetna Air Taxi and had a good time. Plan for weather delays since you never know what Denali is going to do and go in the morning.

We took a floatplane ride with Rusts Flying Service out of Lake Hood in Anchorage in an ancient Beaver. Pretty good ride but I don't care much for being in a crowd. I think they had 9 people on the flight.

My favorite was a R44 helicopter ride around Prince William Sound with Alpine Air Alaska out of Girdwood near Alyeska resort. Alyeska is a great place to stay in the off-skiing season, too.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I fly for Talkeetna Air Taxi (185, Beaver, Turbine Otter). As mentioned above, we do flights around Denali with glacier landings. If you come this way, say hello.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Wrangell Mountain Air also does some awesome flights out of McCarthy.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I fly for Talkeetna Air Taxi (185, Beaver, Turbine Otter). As mentioned above, we do flights around Denali with glacier landings. If you come this way, say hello.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My wife and I stayed in Talkeetna about 5 days in May 2008 in Susitna River cabins. I almost got carried off by Alaskan mosquitoes that survived the winter, but it was a nice place. Saw Spring break up on the river while we were there. It sounded like a freight train. The 185 flight and landing on Ruth Glacier were lots of fun. I think the pilot was a tall guy named Bob with a short beard.
Loved the "Welcome to Beautiful Downtown Talkeetna" sign.

Andy
1986 MX7-180

superd58

Post by superd58 »

M7 235C driver here with some suggestions: 1- out the kinik is a fun day of off airport landings. 2 - lake Clark pass is nice on a good day. 3- just flying into the ampatheater above the Ruth glacier will make one feel in awe. 4- a day in Homer should be on your list. 5- circle hot springs is nice. Weather permitting of course on all.
Fly Safe

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Im here now and have flown this week with Doug Brewer of Alaska West Air Taxi in his Turbine Otter, and with Vern Kingford's folks at Alaska Float Ratings, or something like that, in their PA-18s. All were on floats.

Doug is far more personable and runs a very professional organization. He has about 20 airplanes from PA-18s to the Otters. I highly recommend them.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

Gary Raser

Post by Gary Raser »

It has been a little over a year since we took our trip to Alaska. So I am slow getting back with a follow up. We had a very nice trip and got to see a lot. My favorite part was the flight we took with Talkeetna Air Taxi and hanging out with Andy Young. The reason for my reply to to thank Andy for the time he spent hanging out with us and showing us around Talkeetna Air. "Thanks Andy"

Gary

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. Glad you had a good time. :-). Though of course, that was much more due to the flight environment than to me.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. Glad you had a good time. :-).