Basic Med

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Basic Med

Post by crbnunit »

Had a disappointing day today. Since so much time and energy was put into getting this legislation passed and I was due for a medical, I thought I should do my civic duty and use Basic Med.

Emailed my GP/AME about three weeks ago tl let him know I would be taking this route. No reply. He is a busy guy so I blew it off.

Called two weeks ago and make an appointment. I was very specific in saying I wanted the Basic Med, not the third class medical when I made the appointment. No problem was the reply.

Showed up to my appointment this AM. First thing they asked me was "Do you have your confirmation number." I kindly informed them I didn't need one for Basic Med. "Oh, I'll have to check."

Came back in a little while and asked if I had the paperwork. Handed her my filled out portion along with the doc's portion and all the instructions that go with it.

Came back in about 5 minutes and showed me to a room. The doc wanders in about 15 minutes later and informs me he does not do Basic Med exams. He explains Basic Med puts him at a higher liability and his malpractice insurance will not cover him if something goes wrong but he would be happy to do a third class medical as long as I was there anyway.

What occurs to me is he can defer my third class medical to the FAA for approval or denial while he would actually have to make a decision with Basic Med...

I can do a lot more damage with my 5000lb truck than I can my 1400lb airplane. There are no limitations. I can carry as many people in it as I please, carry external loads, tow anything I want, work on it, modify it... My health is never brought into question to drive it. Why do we have to put up with this bullshit? Is this why we went to all the trouble and expense to get this legislation passed?

I will be finding a new MD. How can someone become an AME and not be a pilot?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

:oops:
Last edited by DeltaRomeo on Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
M5

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Maybe your examiner is the only problem. My CDL requires a medical exam that is performed by a chiropractor for $75 who must think his services will not make him liable for the very large exposure possible by a loaded truck. Or maybe it really is his uninformed insurance company.
Let Freedom Prevail

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Most AME's are not pilots.

I am not impressed with your doctor's management of what should have been a simple situation.

I sign off on Basic Med nowadays but still do a lot of Second and Third Classes.

I have instructed my partners on the Basic Med situation and none have had any problems with it.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

It is possible that it is just new and he has not had a chance to research it yet. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Talked with his PA today and it sounds like he is going to issue me a 3rd class medical without deferring it this time. If he does, we will revisit the Basic Med when it comes around again. If he defers me, all bets are off.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

Sorry you had the problem. I used an urgent care facility that routinely performs DOT exams. I went to the physician a few weeks ahead of time and took him the FAQs that AOPA published for physicians. We talked about it for about 20 minutes and he said "no problem". Once it went live, I went back and within an hour had the proper paperwork with signature. Don't get discouraged. Try a place that does DOT exams. From all indications, they are pretty familiar with this type exam and the signoff.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Well, my I must have guilted my AME. He signed my 3rd class medical today without deferring it as he usually does. That buys him two years! LOL!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I looked at the doctors checklist and it looks a lot like what you would get on a regular physical. Am I right in assuming that when it says things like eyesight it does not specify how much and therein is the difference?

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

You do not need to go to an AME. Any licensed physician can sign the form.
My AME would also not do the Basic Med. I went to my regular physician and it worked out very well.
Flyer

Joe Crecente

basicMed/3rd Class

Post by Joe Crecente »

I decided that I wanted to fly the Caribbean or at least have the option and since the Basic Med is actually more work than just going in for the 3rd Class i just went the 3rd class route. On top of that, I ust received an insurance quote that requires me to get a FAA flight certificate within 6 months of any flight I make. I don't think I am going with that company but if I had Basic Med I would still have to get a 3rd class twice a year it looks like. I have no physical problems and passed the 3rd Class without a hitch but the insurance people have other ideas. :)
Joe Crecente
Owner of N3055C, a MX7-180C.
Pilot at last.

njpilot172

Basic Med a boon for pilot owners, but not renters

Post by njpilot172 »

My 3rd Class expired in December of '16. I was initially planning to wait-out the winter and switch from 3rd Class to Basic Med when the legislation kicked-in.

Unfortunately my FBO requires a 3rd Class to rent their aircraft (probably due to their liability insurance).

In the end I just went ahead and renewed my 3rd class to avoid losing my rental privileges.

I guess Basic Med would be a benefit for pilot owners, but not necessarily a solution for renters. Fortunately for me I passed my 3rd class with flying colors.
250 Hour Cessna 172/182 Driver.
Hoping to someday buy or enter partnership in first plane.
Location Northern NJ

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Our local FBO will rent to Basic Med, but I have heard of some insurance companies not covering it.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Joe Crecente

Post by Joe Crecente »

Maybe there is something I am missing, but I think the Basic Med missed the whole point. I thought the idea was to allow one to fly if he had a valid driver's license, implying that the medical conditions for the driver's license should suffice for flying. Instead FAA has installed a whole new set of rules and regulations, personnel and training, etc. It seems to be just another excuse to extend the FAA's domain. What am I missing here?
Joe Crecente
Owner of N3055C, a MX7-180C.
Pilot at last.

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

Earlier this year, I called my insurance broker (Gustafson's) and Tim talked to the insurance companies who said they had no problem if I flew under BasicMed.

In June, I went to my personal physician and had no problems doing BasicMed
She thinks I will be safe to myself and others and that I am fully cognizant of when there are medicine interactions. I have blood work at least once a month and see a doctor at least every 6 weeks for maintenance.

Hopefully I won't have a claim and find out that all is not well, but for now, no more "chaperone".

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Joe Crecente wrote:Maybe there is something I am missing, but I think the Basic Med missed the whole point. I thought the idea was to allow one to fly if he had a valid driver's license, implying that the medical conditions for the driver's license should suffice for flying. Instead FAA has installed a whole new set of rules and regulations, personnel and training, etc. It seems to be just another excuse to extend the FAA's domain. What am I missing here?
You missed nothing, but rather provided an accurate synopsis. :?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843