Electric tug for the MX7

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Joe, that's pretty slick. Tell me about the sprocket on the winch. How you do that?

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I disassembled the winch, turned down one end of the cable spindle, bored out the sprocket to fit. Slid it on and pinned in place then reassembled.
Rick

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Montana Maule, your tug is very close to what I consider to be the ideal Maule tailwheel tug. The only thing I would like better would be to have a manual ratchet handle type winch that would pull the tailwheel up a slanted metal u-channel to get the weight onto the tug's driving wheel for better traction.

I know the winch is geared way down, but does it jerk the airplane when you apply or remove power?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

If you raise the unit up so the tire is off the ground, start the winch and slowly lower the tire it will smoothly move the aircraft.

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

Humm,
I did something similar but different. I used a winch but ripped it apart and machined a hub and attached a sprocket. This allowed me to make the whole thing more compact. Then ran a live shaft with dual wheels. I also made arms that are adjustable that have brass inserts I machined to fit the axle on the tail wheel. That way I just roll it under, hook it in, and engage the drive. Pretty simple. I will try to get some pics up in the next few days. I really don't need to pick up the rear wheel if I don't want to. I am going to make another one with a "differential" on the axle so it steers a little easier. The live axle with two wheels makes it a little heavy to steer when trying to spin it on asphalt outside the hanger.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

A DC speed control would make those things really slick.

xcflyn

Post by xcflyn »

Joe Crecente

Post by Joe Crecente »

I finally decided on an Airtug electric. It uses the "scoop" type of attachment and as of now I do not have it working exactly as I would like. Photos to follow soon.
Joe
Joe Crecente
Owner of N3055C, a MX7-180C.
Pilot at last.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I like xcflyn's tug design but I would still add a short u-channel ramp and manual ratchet to pull the tailwheel up above the driving wheels for better traction. I've tried my Taildragger Dragger on grass and even with the tailwheel sitting in the frame, traction is a problem. That would also work on a Scott or Maule tailwheel since no attachment to the axle would be needed. Having a winch holding the tail wheel at the top of a slanted ramp would also prevent it from jumping out of the tug on an uphill or downhill incline.

A dual-wheel design would be required for a ramp-type configuration since I think that the heavy weight of the tail above a single wheel would make it laterally unstable and risky.

Fat tires with lower inflation pressure and lots of tread would improve traction on grass or dirt.

A differential axle would make it easier to steer as was mentioned. A DC motor control would allow variable speed and forward/reverse operation without jerking the airplane during startup. Picking up the tug wheel with the weight of the tail on top of the driving wheels would be too difficult.

I don't have access to a machine shop or I'd build a prototype with these features myself. The problem with buying a tailwheel tug is that they're ridiculously expensive and none of them are ideal.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have the small aero tow unit it attaches to the Scott tail wheel axle. It would not work for a Maule style tailwheel but like Andy suggests you could adapt a ramp and strap to pick up the tailwheel. It does a goodjob moving the Maule ,it can handle slight inclines. I was lucky to buy it used from Wup saved me a bunch and my back.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

I always wondered why a handy fella never made one powered by one of these new 20 volt portable drills?

Christine
Site Admin

Re: Sent a pm

Post by Christine »

stevegodbehere wrote:Joe, Please check your email. I sent a PM about what I built for my MX-7 235.

Steve
Please send me a pm too for my MX7. Or share here?
Thank you
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Cool, Montana Maule. Maybe I'll build one like that as well
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

"The Boss" is powered by a Milwaukee 28v battery drill. It looks interesting. In the video it's towing a Maule. http://www.minimaxtugs.com/product-p/028boss.htm . It's not recommended for use in grass and I don't think it would work well on a downhill incline since the tailwheel might hop over the peg.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Gary gave me a tow bar he built for his lawn tractor it works well with my riding mower when I need to move the maule any distance like after washing or if I have it over by the garage. It hooks up to the scott tail wheel axle like a lot of other models. I'll post a picture when I get home.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money