Electric tug for the MX7

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Joe Crecente

Electric tug for the MX7

Post by Joe Crecente »

I find it extremely hard to move my MX7 even with the manual tow bar that came with it. Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive electric tug that can be attached to the tail wheel and operated safely?
Joe Crecente
Owner of N3055C, a MX7-180C.
Pilot at last.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

No such thing as an inexpensive electric tug. I pull mine in and out with an old riding lawn mower. I attache it to the landing gear with ropes to pull it out and the tail wheel spring to pull it in the hanger. It works very well. I also have used the tail wheel lifter that sporty's sells and that works pretty well. The Maule is a heavy bastard and is not like moving a Cub.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Ahmen to hand pushing Maule. My back and I decided to invest in a used gasoline Powertow. You can get it w/ Scott tailwheel adapters.

http://www.powertow.com/40-EZ-Aircraft-Tug_p_14.html

Works really well and uses gas that I draw when I sump the tanks.

I did not pay anything close to list. Check online for used units.

TD

Joe Crecente

tug

Post by Joe Crecente »

I would definitely prefer an electric and have been looking at a DJ Products 4kjr but have been trying to figure a way to hook it to the tail wheel without danger of damage if things should slip. Os the Scott Tail wheel the one with the notch for the tow bar?
Joe Crecente
Pilot at last.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, the old girls are a little heavy and a dog to push around by hand. The electric ones I've seen are on or off and start with a jolt. At least with a gas model you have some throttle control. If you hav room behind the bird in the hangar a tow bar and a fairly heavy old worn out mower works great but it does take room.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a gas-powered Taildragger Dragger. It works pretty well but is difficult to wiggle around the tail wheel and you still have to lift it to get the rear caster locked. It also has a tendency to let the tail wheel hop out on an incline unless you strap it in. I've done a lot of research on this subject in the search for the perfect tail wheel tug. So far the best one (on paper and video) that I've found is the SuperTow I at $3,399 made by PowerTow. Pricey but effective! They have more powerful (and more expensive) models like the SuperTow Pro that have improved features.

Their 40EZ seems to work well at a much lower price of $1,899. The only problem with a tug that doesn't have the weight of the airplane pressing down on the wheel is traction on a slippery surface like grass or gravel.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

I have a Power Tow 40EZ that I had used with my previous non Maule plane. I had a friend machine some delrin (I think) inserts for the arms that capture the tail wheel axle bolt and nut. It works really well and doesn't scar the tail wheel assembly. The only problem was that I had to change from a Maule tail wheel to a new Alaskan Bushwheel (Scott) tail wheel. I could never figure a good way to use the Power Tow with the Maule tail wheel.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

My Tug is an older version of the 40EZ powertow.

You are right, I don't see anyway that it could accommodate a Maule tailwheel. I have a Scott and powertow has what appears to be nylon "cups" that fit over the bolt and nut of the Scott.

The 40EZ takes some learning to use it on a tailwheel plane. I am almost certain it was a tricycle gear design that was adapted to tailwheels.

When you are pulling the plane it is pretty straight forward but while pushing the plane in a turn the tailwheel can break left or right and end up w/ the tug under the horizontal stab. Preventing this is the learning curve.

Traction on grass or slippery surfaces is an issue. Letting some air out of the tire helps and forcing the handles down also helps.

All the above being said, it beats the hell out of another back operation.

TD

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Another great way to move the plane is always fly with friends.

stevegodbehere

Sent a pm

Post by stevegodbehere »

Joe, Please check your email. I sent a PM about what I built for my MX-7 235.

Steve
N56604. MX-7 235C

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Hey Steve, show us all !
Let Freedom Prevail

Joe Crecente

Tailwheel tugs

Post by Joe Crecente »

I'm still researching and since I have the Maule tw and not the Scott I am not sure if the Scott has the capability for the side connections like nose wheel airplanes do. It seems I need one that picks the wheel up off the ground which is what I think Steve's design does. I have found several that do that : the Taildragger Dragger which comes in electric and gas and was mentioned earlier. I have seen several which use large power tools to drive a homemade frame that handles the tail wheel and several that with some kind of mods could handle tail wheel like the DJ Products ACC 4Kjr. The DJ Products all use the normal nose wheel attaching procedures so that is why they would have to be modified. I have looked at some trailer tugs which show promise, but again would have to be modified to pick up the tail wheel.

The search continues.
Joe Crecente
Pilot at last.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I've got the minimax tug, not the boss, and it works pretty well. Picks up the wheel, I have the Maule tail wheel. Ordered the snow tires and it moves the M-5 over soft ground OK. Turning is tough and it takes some getting used to, 50 lbs down force to raise the tail, but tires dig right in and move the aircraft. Battery looks inadequate but works very well. Bought a second battery just in case, really didn't need to.

www.minimaxtugs.com

Ralph
akafrank

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I made my tug from an ATV winch, an old aircraft battery, and extra parts around the shop.

Joe Crecente

Post by Joe Crecente »

Looks good but I have the Maule tail wheel and cannot use a pincher type
connection.
Joe Crecente
Pilot at last.