Swing up Seaplane Doors

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Maulmaniac

Swing up Seaplane Doors

Post by Maulmaniac »

Anyone out there have pictures and or drawings of the Swing up door mod? Will it take a 337 or can I just do it? MM

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have the drawings if you want them. I bought a second set of doors so I could make this mod but have never really gotten started on it.

I was told, and I don't remember from who now, that the doors are non-structural and you could do pretty much anything you want to them as long as it doesn't affect the way the plane flies.

However, this mod will effect the way the door latches and will require some welding so I'm guessing a 337 will indeed be necessary.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in here.

Send me an email address or a fax number and I'll get the drawings to you.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Considering the new atmosphere of getting a "Field Approval" I would encourage you to get all your paperwork in order and approved before you start your (many hours) of work constructing your doors.

In my experience... even using a "previously approved 337" is no longer an option... Where this had been common practice in years prior--it is not a standard now. FSDO and ASO both came back with, "you must pursue STC approval to make this modification." (It wasn't for seaplane doors, but I even had DER approved data and the 337 was still not approved...very frustrating...and it took over a year to hash out...)

I'd hate to see you in the same situation...
Wishing you luck in getting 337 approved for your changes...

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Any progress on the flip up doors? would like to hear more on field approval update.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not from me. I have seen a Maule with the mod though. Makes getting in and out much easier but you have to be careful not to walk into the corners!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

We cando the 337, costly but can be done.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Dpn't you lose a lot of surface area that you can use for sailing if you convert to swing up doors? I get why it would be easier to get in and out.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Miek52

Post by Miek52 »

I have a copy of a 337 approval done in 2004 and drawings. I can email them if interested.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'd like to see drawings/photos of the latch system if you have them.

crbnunit@alaska.net

Miek52

Post by Miek52 »

Email sent. file size is 5MB if too large let me know I can split up and resend. I haven't had any problems with the corners yet.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

My home computer is having issues and my phone is struggling to download a 5mb file. Could I get you to email it to my work address?

jeff@greatlandinfusionpharmacy.com

Is that a horrid address or what? Cut and paste is the way to go! LOL!

Miek52

Post by Miek52 »

Jeff
email sent

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Interesting. Your's has two latches and retains the original. The drawings I have are for a single latch system that operates a rod front and back. Thanks for sending those!