Avionics Package

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Maules aren't on the Stratus ESG STC Approved Model List but the FAA allows authorized avionics repair stations to use the lead STC for Part 23 aircraft. The avionics repair station will still do a 337 since it's a major airframe modification but there's no difficulty with the paperwork.

Several of us Maule owners have the Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i arrangement and we're all pleased with it. The only significant limitation is that the Stratus 2i will not interface with Garmin GPS units to display traffic and weather on the GPS. I have a Garmin GTN 650 and it can't interface with the Stratus 2i receiver. That's not really much of a problem since I use my iPad Mini 5 with ForeFlight to display everything. If the iPad fails, then my iPhone works fine as a display with the 2i.

The airplanes that I fly for work have GTN 650 and GTX 345 avionics. I find that the smaller display on the GTN 650 gets pretty busy when you display traffic and weather. The larger iPad display is better, even the Mini's. The iPad/ForeFlight combination that I have also displays more information than I could get on the GTN 650 display, such as VFR Sectional Charts, IFR Low Altitude Charts, TFRs, approach plates, etc.

Even if the Stratus 2i would interface with Garmin avionics, the iPad/ForeFlight combination has a lot of advantages such as portability that you can use to plan a flight before getting to the hangar. The one big disadvantage is that smart phones and tablets aren't as rugged and don't have the temperature operating range that aircraft avionics have. I've had my iPad shut down from thermal overload several times in the summer. That's inconvenient on an approach so I also keep my GTN 650 databases up to date.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Zoller

Post by Zoller »

Andy,
I had the same problem. My iPad mini4 went belly up after less than 30 minutes of flying on a sunny day in our KL107 with its green house canopy.

I finally solved it and bought a X-naut https://x-naut.com cooling mount. It is powered by 4 AAs or a micro USB.
Ridiculously expensive but it works.
No more heat problems ever since.

Sorry for the off topic...

KL107
------------------------------------------------------
"...We're out of beer, Victor!!..."