Avionics Package

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Yes Bama, I was looking at the Stratus only.

So, if I don't have a Stratus this is about a $3500 solution before the Foreflight and iPad investment.

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

The units are now down to $2995 which includes the antenna. Both shops have told me to count on about $1500 installation costs including the paperwork. I do have the IPad and the Stratus portable already and my encoder can be used. Keep in mind that you are not required to have the "in". So, if you just wanted to satisfy the mandate it looks like $4500 could get it done provided your current encoder could be used. From what I've read, the Appeareo unit can use a wide variety of existing encoders.
Not pushing the Appareo, just seems to be what will work best for me.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Thanks Greg. With the Stratus parts only = ~ $3500. Since I don't have the Stratus that is where I would start.

For Stratus owners this sounds like a good deal.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think the Garmin GTX 335/345 AML includes a lot of Maules now. Here's a link to page 2 of STC SA01714WI in the FAA's online STC database:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... =sa01714wi

With the optional WAAS GPS module, the list price is $5,795 on Garmin's website. Installation should run about $1,500.

It looks like it is able to use the existing transponder antenna for the ADS-B Out and standard transponder functions, which saves some installation cost. The $5,795 should include the WAAS GPS antenna that is mounted on top of the wing.

The GTX 345 is 1.65" high and should fit into the slot occupied by my KT 76A transponder now, so no panel modifications.

It interfaces with ForeFlight Mobile via Bluetooth and ForeFlight has integrated it into their app software so it should just appear as another device in ForeFlight, like the Stratus II.

It looks like it has an integrated AHRS like the Stratus II. I'm not sure that I'll need the Stratus II other than as a backup if the GTX 345 is installed in the panel. If you haven't already purchased the Stratus, then you might not need it with the GTX 345, which saves $900.

I don't know how long it's going to take to certify the Appareo ESG and then whether or not my MX-7-180 will be on their AML. The fact that the certified GTX 345 already supports the MX-7-180 and a lot of other Maules, is a pretty big factor. I think the GTX 345 is about $1,000 more than the ESG.

The only feature that the ESG has that isn't provided by the GTX 345 is a panel jack for the Stratus II that provides power and antenna. Seems like Garmin has already built the Stratus II features into the GTX 345. One advantage of the Stratus over the 345 is that it provides a wifi router, while the 345 uses Bluetooth for connectivity. That usually means that only one device at a time can pair with the 345 while any number of devices can connect with the Stratus II. I've had two pilot type passengers with iPads and ForeFlight use my Stratus II before while I was using as PIC on my iPad. That might not be possible with the 345, but it's not a major consideration for me.

I may be going the GTX 345 route.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

Good info Andy!
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Henry L. Heaberlin
100+ Posts

Panel upgrade

Post by Henry L. Heaberlin »

Andy: Thank you for the reference on the new Garmin AML... That cures my year long problem in my Maule according to my avionics shop... I appreciate it... Henry

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks like it just got easier. Just ran across a copy of the FAA's Memorandum "Installation Approval for ADS-B Systems" They revised it on March 2. It pretty much says that if system pairing (transponder/GPS) has been spoken to and the integrity proven by an STC then the pair can be approved without a particular airplane being listed on the Approved Models List. It allows one to send a 337 directly to Oklahoma City without field approval data.

Been waiting for that. My 337 goes in Monday.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Linked my 430W to the KT74 I installed a while back and installed the pressure switch for air ground determination. Just got a clean ADS-B Aircraft Operation Compliance Report from the FAA monitoring website. I'm done.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm glad to see you got it finished. still waiting on the quote from Twin Lakes.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

They're not fast on quotes.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

That's great, Gary! I'd be interested to hear how many ground stations you pick up as you head west. With my iPad mini/Foreflight/Stratus II arrangement at about 2,000 AGL over most of the mountains, I only get 1 - 3 ground stations. As I head East where it's flatter, I pick up 4 - 8.

I'm still planning on going the Garmin GTX 345 route but I have to let my wallet rest for a while first.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

andy wrote:That's great, Gary! I'd be interested to hear how many ground stations you pick up as you head west. With my iPad mini/Foreflight/Stratus II arrangement at about 2,000 AGL over most of the mountains, I only get 1 - 3 ground stations. As I head East where it's flatter, I pick up 4 - 8.

I'm still planning on going the Garmin GTX 345 route but I have to let my wallet rest for a while first.
I fly out west and there are still large areas with no ground stations for quite a distance. I understand that there will be more stations added in the coming years, but right now, there's not a lot of value when you can't get a signal to get the weather and traffic.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, I use iPad/Foreflight/Stratus II for ADS-B in just like you so it will be the same as long as you are in fairly dense areas where ground stations are already being triggered. Haven't been far but around CLT. HKY. etc. I don't see much more than before I put the OUT in place. Guess when everybody gets it we will have more.

bdc311

Post by bdc311 »

Did Maules ever make it onto the AML for Appareo Stratus ESG In/Out system? I can't seem to find it. I'm importing an M4 from Canada with one installed and am understanding it'll probably just need a 337 filed.

Thoughts?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

What kind of paperwork was filed in Canada when it was installed there?