Any interest in a Springtime PACNW Puget Sound Maule Fly-in?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Okay, based on the inputs and my schedule I think we'll go with the 13th as our primary day with a backup on the 20th.

MrHRC, If you are interested in the base tour, give me a few day heads up on when you can come down and I can put one together for you solo.

Flyhound,
Let us know how the trip timing works out and we'll cross our fingers over here as well.

Speaking with the airfield manager at KOKH we are good to go, only thing is there aren't enough tie-downs so if you want one please bring "the claw" of some other means of securing your plane. You can also bring a tent and camp either under your wing at the airfield or down on the beah in front of my house (only problem is there is an 11' tide that night meaning not much beach will remain dry, some but not much. There are also hotels nearby that I can shuttle people too if you want to spend the night for the Saturday flight over to Jeff Co for lunch.

If you know you can make it (obviously pending weather) please RSVP so I can get at least a preliminary count on how many to expect. Also my number is below in case anyone has any questions. Thanks guys (and gals) looking forward to getting some Maules together..

James
907-617-9568

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

James;

KOKH is just a short hop for me. I will be there.

TD

maule-guy

Post by maule-guy »

I'd like to attend your PNW Maule fly-in on the weekend of May 13-15 and I've got two other fellow Maule pilots who would like to also so there would be 3 planes, I'm not sure on the total head count yet, but I'll let you know as we get closer. We'd come up from OR on Friday May 13 and like to get hotel rooms in the Oak Harbor area, so if you have a good suggestion I'd appreciate that. We would also like to tour the Whidbey Naval base too if that is possible. Looking forward to meeting fellow PNW Maule pilots. Thanks for putting outing this together.
B. Kerr
Kerrb222@aol.com
'95 M6 235 N9215X

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi James.
I would like to mirror what Maule Guy said. I'll call you soon to confirm.

Maule-guy we need to get together sometime
Blue/white Maules rule !!

Dan

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

James: my East coast business trip hasn't materialized yet, so I'm hoping it never will. Count me in. I may fly home each evening since I'm just across the Sound from you. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of old and new friends at this gathering. Thanks for pulling this together.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

BudG
100+ Posts

NW Fly-in

Post by BudG »

Sounds great! I work on Friday and I will be doing Float Training at KENMORE Air on the weekendmornings but I can make it out for socializing in the p.m. Hey Tom, if you guys are flying out anywhere and I ain't around, call me up and I'll meet up :D thanks
CAVU2U

BUDG

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Thanks to Tom for pointing out that access to US Military bases now requires ID that meets the REAL ID act which evidently Washington State Drivers license do not. I didn't think about it since I just use a Mil ID to get to work everyday. So the short story is unless you have a drivers license from another state that meets the REAL ID requirements, then please bring a passport so I can get you on base, likewise for any of our Canadian brothers..
Thanks Tom, great catch!

James

maule-guy

Post by maule-guy »

I think OR does comply with the REAL ID program, but do you know for sure if it does or I'll bring passport. Also, do you have a hotel James you recommend to get rooms reserved at?
B. Kerr
Kerrb222@aol.com
'95 M6 235 N9215X

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Looks like most of the States in the West are either compliant or have received an extension except the State of Washington.

You can look here for your state.

https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories or
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

To expand on the above.

As of January 22, 2018 TSA will require a valid Real ID license or other accepted forms of identification, or you will not make it through screening for your flight.

www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Can I use my driver’s license to board an aircraft?

Yes. TSA will continue to accept valid driver’s licenses and identification cards issued by all states until January 22, 2018.

maule-guy

Post by maule-guy »

Thanks TomD, we are good to go!!
B. Kerr
Kerrb222@aol.com
'95 M6 235 N9215X

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

If it works with my schedule, I will be in - Ooops :shock:- I am working leaving May 9th til May 18th (in Bejiing on the 13th) - so if the backup date happens, I will be in
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Christine, bummer. Would have liked to meet you and thank you in person for all your work on the site.

Maule-Guy,
I made a reservation for the DPE who came up to do my H-60 ATP checkride at the Best Western and he thought it was decent. Nothing to write home about but not bad. The Candlewood suites was just recently remodeled so that might be a step up, not sure. If money isn't a consideration and you want a truly island experience the Captain Whidbey Inn is the way to go. Its right on the water and they have everything from rooms to cottages. But it is EXPENSIVE. If it were me I'd go with the Best Western, but then the Navy and my time with the Army in Afghanistan have bestowed on me a pretty low bar, expectation wise, for lodging. As they say your milage may vary...

So for totals right now I've got a pretty solid yes from:
TomD
Maule-Guy + 2 other planes for a total of 3-6ish?
DanWS
Flyhound/Gary

Am I missing anyone?

I spoke with Aviation Survival Training rep and their presentation/demo lasts about an hour. We'll get to do some hypoxia training (while flying a EA-18 static sim) as well as the demo of ejection parachute training as well as seeing the dunker devices. So with about 45 min at the P-3 about the same at ATC and the EA-18G and SAR the base tour is looking like it'll be about 3-4 hours.
For you guys flying up from Oregon what is a realistic ETA for you? I'm assuming with any WX delays probably about 11am is about as early as I can plan for everyone to be here, thoughts?
Looking forward to meeting up with as many Maule brothers/sisters as possible.

James

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

I would come up on friday. Probably be there early afternoon. get a room and find some food 😄

Dan

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

James;

If I am correct, you are planning all the NAS tours and stuff on Friday May 13th correct? Then Saturday is a fly around day.

Thanx
Tom