Any interest in a Springtime PACNW Puget Sound Maule Fly-in?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
TomD
100+ Posts

PNW Fly in

Post by TomD »

This is sounding like an expanded fly-in. Maybe some other strips on an additional day or two?

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

I like Toms idea. More time in the area means more fun :D

Dan

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Sweet! Thanks for the interest guys. I'm open for whatever the group would like. I'm game for a several day drop-in if that's what the masses want. Maybe have it start Friday and run through Sunday, that way people can drop in for whatever events/trips etc they want. I people want to spend a couple days here there are several motels and hotels in the Oak Harbor area (5-10min drive) which I could help ferry people too. There's also the Captain Whidbey Inn (about 7 min away), which while offering spectacular views is also rather pricey in my opinion. Plus, there are quite a few bed and breakfasts nearby as well.
I'm currently leaning towards late April/early May as my annual drops at the end of May and I'm transferring to the Persian Gulf in June. Once we nail down a date and get a head count closer to the event we can poll everyone on what particular events they would find the most interesting and go from there. Right now it looks like 9 interested parties with about 4 being local, or local-ish. KOKH has enough parking for about 3x that many (or more if we get creative) if it really comes down to it, though tie-downs are sparse so plan accordingly. We'll try to pick a date that works for the most amount of people and historically falls into a good weather window for Mtn Doctor to make it over the passes. If anyone can think of anything specific they want let me know. Right now I'm contemplating the following: Tour of NAS Whidbey(maybe simulators as well), visit to Deception Pass, Lunch one of the days at Spruce Goose (at JeffCo, OS9) visit Concrete (Mears Field, 3W5), Potentially visit a little grass strip called Westwind up by the border if I can get permission from the owner since its a private grass strip surrounded by cornfields. and maybe another lunch visit down to Bremerton (KPWT). and a beach bonfire one of the nights. That's about it so far, but like I said I'm open to requests...

James

MrHRC

Post by MrHRC »

I wanted to keep this thread going. Any tentative dates yet? Looking forward to this.
When all else fails... Try again.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

MrHRC,
Thanks for the refresh. I had stopped thinking about it but was just waiting until we get a little closer to start the conversation up again. Right now I'm still shooting for somewhere between the last week in April and the first or second week in May, most likely toward the back side of that timeline but somewhere in there.
I'll put potential date-ranges up for a group consensus sometime in late March for people to weigh in on when they would be available and we'll go based on the highest potential turn-out time period...

James

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Sounds good. Im still interested :D

Don Fitzpatrick

Possible Maule Fly In at Whidbey

Post by Don Fitzpatrick »

Hello flyusn99
We are interested in your proposed fly-in in May. We put together a list of fly-ins for our local (Okanogan and Ferry County) WPA chapter. We have a couple of Maules in our chapter.

Keep us posted please. DonFitzpatrickJr@gmail.com 206-669-8278
Don Fitzpatrick, Jr.
MT7 N5501Y
donfitzpatrickjr@gmail.com
206-669-8278 Cel
509-996-2071 Home
based in Winthrop, WA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Possible Maule Fly In at Whidbey

Post by Andy Young »

Don Fitzpatrick wrote:Hello flyusn99
We are interested in your proposed fly-in in May. We put together a list of fly-ins for our local (Okanogan and Ferry County) WPA chapter. We have a couple of Maules in our chapter.

Keep us posted please. DonFitzpatrickJr@gmail.com 206-669-8278
Hi Don,
I just noticed your're based in Winthrop. I actually own a piece of land right on the airstrip at Lost River, though I've only been there a few times. That'd be a great place for a fly-in, if I was ever there....
I'm thinking of selling it to buy something in Alaska, if you happen to know anyone who wants such a thing. You can PM me for details if so.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

PACNW Spring Fly In

Post by flyusn99 »

Okay, time to resurrect this post. Looking at time available I think I'm leaning towards the 13th of May or possibly the 20th for the fly-in. Any strong votes one way or another? I'll arrange the base tour Friday (Aviation Water Survival aka the dunker, P-3's, EA-18Gs, MH-60S Search and Rescue and ATC) along with possibly one grass field up Northeast of Bellingham either later Friday or Saturday as well as a flight over to Jeff Co (OS9) for lunch Saturday. If anyone else wants to tack extra stuff on or coordinate other things, feel free.
Well, let me know what dates work for everyone.

James

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I would think the 13th would be better. Paine Field Day is the 21st

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Either one works for me :D

Dan

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Here is the info on the Paine Field Aviation Day

http://www.painefield.com/198/Paine-Field-Aviation-Day

maule-guy

Post by maule-guy »

I'd be interested in attending your PNW Maule Fly-in if the weather works out, I know a couple of other Maule owners down here in OR that might be able to attend too. It looks from your possible dates to have the fly-in the earlier May dates works best for me. I'll keep checking your posts on this.
B. Kerr
Kerrb222@aol.com
'95 M6 235 N9215X

MrHRC

Post by MrHRC »

I'm voting for the 20th as I will be away the 13th weekend.
When all else fails... Try again.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Like Tom D, I favor the 13th, 'cause I'd like to attend the Paine Field gather on the 21st. I may have a work trip to the east coast in May and I'm hoping it won't interfere with either of these dates if it materializes. My fingers are perpetually crossed.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.