My 1st Maule

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Rob--

I had a good weather day (less than 15 mph winds and more than 500' ceilings) and just as I was getting ready to pull 10Y out of the hanger the phone rings and back to work I go! :cry: so no prop washin' for me but maybe today if all goes well I will get some time in the wild blue yonder.

I have been late getting the Apex 1!Image ready to go but afterthis weekend it will be gased and ready to carve up some powder!

There is about 4 to 6" of the fluf here at the airport and about 4' at our rideing area so a good start and I will have to go test later this weekImage

iceman
100+ Posts

1st Maule

Post by iceman »

OK I've been following you guys for a while and I thought it's time I weighed in here. I too am a new maule pilot. I have flown a tripacer for the past 8 years and go to Idaho every summer to fish the back country. I was at Johnson Creek two years ago at your fly in with the tripacer and it was then that I vowed to own a Maule so I could go to places the tripacer couldn't . Since then I have purchased Maule M4 210 C 9810M from a fellow in Good thunder Minnesota. I flew her home last spring and emabarked on the road to tail dragger qualification and have had a ball with the Maule since. I am located in San Diego and fly to our back country strips here for practice. I have been to most of the Idaho strips with the PA 22 but not yet with my new baby. I have to say that in the air, except for being a little heavier, the Maule flies about the same as tha PA 22 . Landings are altogether another world however. I have gotten the knack of the Maule dance on the rudder and haven't even had a close call as of yet. I am looking forward to another summer vacation this summer at Johnson Creek and hope I can hook up with some of you guys there. I recently upgraded the radios in 10M and will soon install a new Garmin 496 in the panel dock i put in. I love reading about your techniques in landing and losing altitude. I haven't tried using full back elevator with full flaps to lose altitude yet but I was hoping to read more about that from those of you who know our little aircraft much better than I do. Hope I haven't gotten too wordy here but I am really excited about the Maule. I can't wait to fly it on weekends, since the time change has reduced our daylight hours so much I only get to go up on Sundays for a breakfast flight or strip hopping to the desert east of here. Looking forward to chatting and hope to see some of you veteran maule drivers at Johnson creek next summer,,( SOmetime in July)
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hello Butch: Congrats on getting a Maule. I am like you in that I like the free advice from guys with more experience. I am now up to 20 hours and 106 landings. I need 10 more hours for the insurance man and 100 more landings for Jeremy. Regards...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

No date or place is yet set for a 2007 flyin so a new thread somewhere and ideas tendered would be good.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

My first Maule

Post by iceman »

Hi Rob, Good to hear from another Newby. I think I number about 60 landings and 80 or 90 Hours or so since I brought the plane home. Having flown a tripacer so many years I am still amazed at how fast that 210 jumps into the air. I had a 160 HP PA 22 with VG's and droop tips and it still doesn't hold a candle to this. My Buddy in the hangar next to me flies a Pacer and a 182 and he describes my Maule as a pacer on steroids. We can't wait for our next summers Idaho trip. I have a few new strips I want to visit that were marginal in the tripacer. I hope to get to Wilson Bar, Vines, Lower loon, and maybe soldier bar. I've been to Upper loon Thomas, Cabin, Warren, warm, sulphur, Big, Moose, Cayuse, shearer, and a few others I can't remember right now. I enjoy hearing from the local guys who fly up there all the time, although several of them view us southern Cal pilots as a pain in the butt. We understand that and we aren't your typical southern cal pilots. We do something most of them don't and that's practice. Lots of slow flight and spot landing practice, and we hit a bunch of dirt and unimproved strips here and in the desert. I can't immagine a better fly in destination than Johnson creek except when the 180/185 guys are there. I was there one year for that and I will never go again when they're there. Waaay too many people and planes. The maule fly in is about as big as I want to get. Hope I can make it this summer. Anyway I'll be at johnson creek for about 10 days . Butch
Iceman

donknee
100+ Posts

2007 Maule Fly In

Post by donknee »

Per Jeremy's recomendation I thought I would get a thread going for the 2007 Maule Fly In......

Here's one stop on the way to......

Lang Creek Brewery http://www.langcreekbrewery.com/

Anyone coming from AK or NWT might find some comfort. Any more thoughts???????

Don
1976 M5-235-C

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Tailwheel and HP endorsed

Post by RobBurson »

Got it last night. 31 hours, 185 landings. YAHOO! Now I'll have some time to go sledding. :P

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Well done Rob, now, the idea is to fly like you're not insured.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Jet-A

Post by Jet-A »

maules.com wrote:Well done Rob, now, the idea is to fly like you're not insured.
You mean Stay on the ground?! :shock:

Just kidding! :D

Hi guys! I am new to the website and fairly new to my M7-235 Maule. I bought it back in July of 2005, but I have not gone anywhere very interesting with it... The longest cross-countries I have done are going to and from my annuals (Sacramento to Rialto & back). I try to exercise it every other week by flying it to Petaluma to see the folks or good 'ol Willows for a big-as-yer-face burger with my 4-yr old daughter. Just at least an hour plus of time to get the oil hot and check it out.

Anyway, glad to see this is where all the (real) pilots hang out!

Cheers!

Jeffrey
-----------------------------------
N92038
KMYV

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

JetA, try a trip to Black Rock and back, overnight on the playa. Or stop in at Angwin but call first as I don't hangout there much.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I second the Trip to the Black Rock, Very much fun. 8)

Jet-A

Black Rock

Post by Jet-A »

Great! I will check into this. Where approximately IS Black Rock? I have never heard of it yet... :?:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

From Sacramento go about north a n hour or two. See the Soldier Meadows flyin info on this front page.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide