check this out

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

check this out

Post by a64pilot »

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

A64 I like all but the landing gear.
The geometry goes against all that I have ever seen, used or read about.
I'm not trying to chop this guys plane. However, what I see is beyond safe. The lower travel limits are excessive, we tried something simular more than 30 years ago and at higher speeds control was unmanageable.
We then called it "darting" at higher speeds it would dart left or right without any warning. It's always possible that they figured it out, we will see.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

His approach speed is listed at 45 mph so I doubt he will have any problems with "higher speeds" on the gear.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

We talked to Jeff on that and got him to put limiter straps on and it worked well.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

We took a good look at the storch and others.
I think if someone would place the attachment fittings on the oposite side of the airframe (instead of the center, make the gear leg a foot or two longer) this would help correct the camber problem. The closest example would be a ford twin I beam front end.
Pilatus only has about 12" of travel on a 10 ft wide gear.
It would be nice to have an airplane that could be dropped in from 4 to 5 feet without damage. And it is possible.
Then you say to yourself, would it just be better to put the effort into the wings and slow her down to maybe 30 or even less????
This is all fun to talk about and very hard to do.........

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You know this guy said stall occured at around 25mph. If those gear are as strong as they look, and with the Baja truck shocks, I bet you could full stall it in at a vertical speed that would destroy stock gear. I would think it could be landed in 50 feet or so fairly regularly. With 351 HP on tap, I bet it leaves really short and steep as well. I'd love to see the thing in real life.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I missed the part about 25.
If this is true, the wings are worth a fortune.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I cut this from his post,

"Without slats, full flap stall is about 35-40kts indicated. With slats and no VG's, 28-30kts. With slats & VG's, 20-25kts"

So the 25 was actually on the highside. I can believe it though, over 34 feet of wing with full span slats on a 1500 lb. airplane. Yeah, I bet they are worth a fortune, I would love to see one with slots just to see if they were as effective. You should see little if any cruise penalty with slots. I haven't flown a Helio, but they always seemed to be close the ideal airplane.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Here are more pics and some videos:

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showg ... puser=1360
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top