M5 or M6

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
N949JH

M5 or M6

Post by N949JH »

Hey guys,
I'm new here and looking for advice. I used to have an '88 MX7/235 that I flew for a few years before losing it. I replaced it with a PA-12 that I love. Unfortunately my wife refuses to ride in it and if I squeeze both kids in the back they fight. And it takes forever to get anywhere. EVERYONE is bugging me to get another Maule...don't throw me in the briar patch, ok?
Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of M5s and one M6 but have no experience in either. I'm hoping for the pro's and con's from those who do. I'll be keeping the PA-12 so real short stuff isn't a criteria, looking for speed and room to seperate the kids.
Thanks in advance.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I have an early model M6 and love it, but if your looking for speed, I believe the M5 with two feet less wing is faster. Won't get in and out as short of course.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I think that you would miss the TT Flaps if you go to the M5 but you have been flyin' a 12 so I guess it wouldn't be too much different. Fly them both if you can and go from there.

Good luck they are both great Birds

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Speed nod should go to the M5. However, the pilot makes the plane, not the other way around. If you were good with the M7, you'll likely be fine with either an M5 or M6. If not, get the most you can for the buck and buy more training.

Two cents deposited...

N949JH

Thanks

Post by N949JH »

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the advice. I'm leaning towards the M5 also. Short field work is not a factor as I've got the -12. Also, I forgot to mention that my airplanes have a tendency to be covered in moose blood, sawdust, and fish scales and the M5s are cheaper and less painful to do that to.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

there is one for sale currently in palmer. high time engine, but very reasonable price.......
M5-235

N949JH

Thanks

Post by N949JH »

Thanks, I looked at that one. Actually, I almost bought it but the A&P I had look at it said the engine could go at any time (4 iffy cylinders). The owner never led me to believe otherwise but I can't afford to do an o'haul right now. Otherwise it is a good airplane. I found another one that has less than 400 hrs on the engine that is only a few thousand more. I'm looking at that one now and my guess is will buy that one, though it does not have floats and I will have to find those elsewhere.

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

Never flown an M6.

But have flown the M7 and found it a lot more wallowy than the M5 and the M7 was developed to correct the wallowiness which resulted from the M6 having the longer wings but same short fuselage the M5 has, or so I believe.
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Actually, the M5, M6, MX7, and M7 fuselages are all the same length.
The M7 has an interior floor length nearly 6" longer than the others.
The M7, M6 from 1986 on, and MX7 from 1993 on have a longer chord rudder.
The other differences are in the many wings and ailerons and combinations thereof.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

:)

Just goes to show what I know! Nowt!

Happy to stand corrected.

:lol: :lol:

Would you say though that there is a distinct difference in feel for the various marks?
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I believe the 7 fuselage has a hump in it to give head room for that 5th seat. I gotta believe that add's some drag. I also believe that the universal wing by not having droop tips adds some drag, but you get more aileron authority. For some reason my M-6 is quite a bit faster than a similar M-7 equipped the same way. The 7 is also quite a bit heavier, maybe that slows it down? I think a 5 has more useful load than a 6, and a 6 more than a 7. The M-9 will reverse that trend and return the 1100 lb useful load, I think. I think there are quite a few that believe that the older Maules are "better" than the newer ones, that's quite common though, just ask the Cessna guy's. :lol:

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It was said in this post that one of you felt that the long wings wallow. I've flown both long and short wing Maules. It's my opinion if your flying your maule with just aileron it will wallow like most high wings will. But if you use rudder along with the aileron (and I don't mean a little foot play) that wallow will go away for the most part.
I have owned 3 different maules now and loved them all. Again its my opinion if you learn to really push on that rudder the maule becomes a different airplane the way it handles in slower flite.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

I owned a M5 for 8 years and loved the role rate and short field performance. I have a newer M7 now, with the corrected role rate, but it still doesn't role like the M5. Nor should it, with a longer moment! I miss the speed of the M5 as well, but I needed short takeoff performance on floats.
1995 M-7-235B