Alaska to Alabama

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
akloon
100+ Posts

Alaska to Alabama

Post by akloon »

I'm going to be flying from Anchorage to Mongomery, AL this July. I'm looking for some good suggestions for places to stop in for overnights, camping or FBOs, as well as just some cool fuel stops. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks!
1995 M-7-235B

beaver

Post by beaver »

Penticten Canada
Everywhere in Idaho
Driggs, Idaho
Gaston's, Missouri
McGee Hee Catfish, Texas

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Lamberts Cafe in Sikeston, MO

Moontown Airport (3M5) in Huntsville, AL

If you make it around Nashville, TN give me a shout...would be great to put a face with the online persona.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Are you going on straight floats?
Have plane, will fish

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

Going geographically south and east I would recommend Sequim, WA (W28) for good antique airplanes and great folks. Kalispell, MT (KGPI) for Glacier Park and beautiful countryside. Bozeman, MT (KBZN) for more beautiful scenery and good folks. Poplar Grove, IL (C77) is the private residential strip of Steve Thomas (Poplar Grove Airmotive) with loads of tailwheels/antiques. Then on down to Lee Bottom (64I) for more grass strips with antiques/tailwheels. Then, I second Chris' (Lowflybye's) recommendations of KSIK (Sikeston....gotta go to Lambert's Cafeteria for the "Throwed Rolls") and Moontown, AL (great grass strip) for great planes and folks. If you're going to Montgomery from Alaska, you might as well continue down to Moultrie and see the peeps there!

Sorry, I probably doubled your fuel bill from a straight-line flight plan, but you asked!

Sam

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Sam-

Good to see you on the forum. When you gonna be in town again so we can go do a bit of flying? Have not seen the Swift out of the hangar in a while.

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

Lowflybye wrote:Sam-

Good to see you on the forum. When you gonna be in town again so we can go do a bit of flying? Have not seen the Swift out of the hangar in a while.
Thanks Chris, since I don't work those normal banker's hours, my times at the airport are typically during the week or nighttime. I flew the Swift on Tuesday and Paula flew the Stinson the day prior. I'm still flying Ralph's Maule to keep the fluids circulated, too.

BTW, I talked to John yesterday for a while and told him that my training down here in Houston-IAH should be done on Saturday 12/08. I have a couple of trips lined up for IOE already.

Sam

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Cool...congrats on completing training.

Ralph's Maule is a sad deal...I never see it fly anymore. I would exercise it for him, but I get the feeling he does not like me all that much. :wink:

John & I flew Tuesday evening...he put like 2.5 hours on it in the local area before sundown and I joined him about 6:00 for some night flying.

See ya at the field.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

Thanks for all the inputs, I'll do my best with the time and gas I've got. I'm going to be at Maxwell AFB for about a year, so I'll be looking for places to visit from there. I hope to find a nice place to tie down nearby. My in-laws are up just south of Birmingham. To answer one of the questions, I'll be on wheels (my 8.5 x 6 ) for the year. No reason to have the 26" tires on for the lower 48 flying I'm planning on.
1995 M-7-235B

Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

akloon wrote:Thanks for all the inputs, I'll do my best with the time and gas I've got. I'm going to be at Maxwell AFB for about a year, so I'll be looking for places to visit from there. I hope to find a nice place to tie down nearby. My in-laws are up just south of Birmingham. To answer one of the questions, I'll be on wheels (my 8.5 x 6 ) for the year. No reason to have the 26" tires on for the lower 48 flying I'm planning on.
Those are my stomping grounds. 1A9 would be a good out of the way place close to KMXF.
I have a share in family property on the Attauga/Dallas County line. My brother lives on our 2000 foot grass strip. I kept my M4 there for years.
I think personal aviation has suffered in that area. Not near as many people own airplanes as it once was. Me included.
There are a few airports around that area where a Maule/driver would be at home.
I tell people all the time that it's not the geography that's so bad, it's the carbon base units that infest it.
Enjoy and good luck.
Real pilots fly airplanes built in Moultrie.
Real good pilots fly yellow airplanes that smell like poison built in Albany.