Hangar planning - any advice?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
pilot
100+ Posts

Hangar planning - any advice?

Post by pilot »

I finally decided to rebuild the hangar here on my farm. I have an old shop that is 42' x 90' inside, with the back half dedicated to hangar space and the rear opening opens onto my grass runway (horse pasture). I have a blank slate, including the hangar door (or lack thereof). I already see a need to put a winch on the back wall since there is a decent slope up to the rear opening. Also thinking about a hydroswing-type door rather than bifold.

For all of you who have thought about it, what would you say makes for a nice hangar setup?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

I built a 80x80 7 years ago. Used a hydroswing 60ft door.works great. 7 other hangers were built at the same time with bifold doors and all 7 have had to have maintanance done to them. Cables broke, lathces not working ect. The hydro gives more shade and more roof space .
Dan

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Start with the size you are thinking about ..... Then double it. from there you should go around the airports and check out the things you like and don't and plan accordingly

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Blank slate you say? For starters:

Hydroswing!! Worth every penny.
add plumbing with water heater.
lots of lights.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I would make it high enough you can hang stuff from the rafters. Also, times being what they are, internet hook-up can be nice for flight planning, trolling Maulepilots.org, vids. etc...

robc

Post by robc »

I've got a hangar in Madison GA. I bought my hangar from oylmpia steel buildings and the hydraulic hangar door from aerodoor out of florida. AeroDoor made a nice bifold door for the guy next door at the same time. They came and installed them for both of us. Both companies were very good.

I would visit some hangars and look for things you like and dislike, i definitely advice insulation!

http://www.hangardoors.aero
http://www.olympiabuildings.com

TomD
100+ Posts

Hanger

Post by TomD »

On the doors, if you have the room the most simple solution might be to extend the tracks to either side or one side and use sliding doors on rollers.

No power needed, no overhead space consumed. Will look funky but low tech.

Just a thought.

TD

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I'm pretty well decided on a "hydro-swing" type door. It looks pretty easy to build and I like the pushbutton opening. Duane I do have internet so I will be able to check on my parts order from the hangar! Does have water and lots of metal halide lighting. I do plan to get a water heater for those greasy hands in the winter....... It is a steel frame building, trusses every 25' with 13' height floor to truss lower chord. There would be no problem lifting something from the truss - I do have a big rolling A-frame with a 2 ton electric hoist but it is always in the way and may need a new home.

Anybody with some door pics and hydraulic cylinder specs would be very welcome to post the info here! I do plan to go look at dome hangars in the next month or so.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

We have wind in our area, so I installed a bifold door on my hanger. Was I wrong to worry? I liked the door so much that I'm going to put one in my new farm shop. The hydroswing would allow the building to be shortened by 2 feet
and still maintain same clearance? Of course, clearance to open would have to be more for the hydroswing.
Let Freedom Prevail

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Progress!

Horizontal bifold copied from a bedroom closet door :) I used 6" galvanized purlins skinned with 26 ga roofing sheets. I ripped a 10" I-beam with my plasma cutter to make the overhead rails, the hinges are bullet hinges with 3/4" pins. I fabbed the floor bolts out of some 3/4" cold roll and same for gust locks on top of middle sections. I built it to open in so I can pin it in the open position without dealing with the slope outside the building. opens about 9' into the sides of the building but I have over 40' of depth for the plane.

Hangar door from inside:

https://youtu.be/to3Ngpl_iY8

From outside:

https://youtu.be/IfNR4U7O4j0

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Quite nice doors. Thanks for the show and tell.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

I would consider a bathroom and a kitchenette with a fridge full of beer for bad weather days

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

wow....those doors look pro. You sir are an expert.
Good job
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think I have a case of hanger door envy
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I'm thinking just plain old hangar envy. Nice dog too.

Kind of makes you feel bad about what you might have called a guy.