Partner for Flight to Alaska

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Partner for Flight to Alaska

Post by Andy Young »

It's almost time for me to do my annual migration to Alaska for the summer (I fly for an air taxi there). I'm struggling to decide whether or not to take my Maule with me. Seems crazy to be in Alaska without it, but on the other hand, I rarely get time to fly it due to my work schedule, and it costs a lot to get it up there. Which is where the following idea comes in:

I'm hoping to find someone who has always wanted to do the flight to Alaska, but hasn't, because they don't have an airplane, are intimidated by the planning/weather/terrain/logistics/border crossings, etc. I can provide the plane, the experience (done it over a dozen times now, by all different routes), the planning and the decision making. The other person can provide funds for fuel. I'm happy to let them do as much of the flying as they like, as long as they aren't scaring me. I may or may not let them do the landings, depending on experience and comfort level.

I plan to leave around the middle of May. Exact date to be determined. I'll be leaving from Colorado.

They would need to get themselves home from Alaska (unless they want to wait until September).

So. Any of you know someone who might like to do this?

Andy

rev412

Post by rev412 »

Wishing you a fun summer Andy. Say 'hi' to everyone up there from me. Looks like I'm headed for Ketchikan this summer.

-Dave

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Wow, I would love to do this. Not sure it would fit in my schedule...but a great opportunity that may only come around once.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

rev412 wrote:Wishing you a fun summer Andy. Say 'hi' to everyone up there from me. Looks like I'm headed for Ketchikan this summer.

-Dave
Will do Dave. Enjoy Ketchikan! I'm envious.

Andy

N949JH

Wrong thread

Post by N949JH »

Oops, sorry
Last edited by N949JH on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

rev412 wrote:Wishing you a fun summer Andy. Say 'hi' to everyone up there from me. Looks like I'm headed for Ketchikan this summer.

-Dave
Hey Dave,

PM sent.

Andy

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

THis sounds interesting to me also. PM sent
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Tempted myself... No way it is going to happen but sounds like fun!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I am just curious, but what is your estimated fuel cost from CO to AK?

What route do you normally take, and if the weather cooperates, how many days?
MXT-7-180A Comet

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

MAU MAU wrote:I am just curious, but what is your estimated fuel cost from CO to AK?

What route do you normally take, and if the weather cooperates, how many days?
I haven't researched fuel prices this spring, but based on last year (and previous years) I would expect it to cost somewhere in the $1200 range one-way. Don't quote me on that, until I've looked at current prices. To a large degree, it depends. On route, and thus, weather. When I can, I often go up the coast, which means I can get away without buying any fuel in Canada. That saves a fair bit. I can tanker up on Orcas Island, Washington, and make it to Ketchikan, assuming favorable winds.

I use a variety of routes:

1. More or less direct to Bellingham area, then up the coast all the way to Anchorage (or sometimes McCarthy if Prince William Sound is bad).
2. To Central Washington, then up the interior to Dease Lake, then direct Whitehorse, or if the northern coast is good, jump out to Juneau. From Whitehorse, it's up to Northway then Anchorage. From Juneau, along the coast, or up to Skagway, then Whitehorse, or perhaps Yakataga, then McCarthy.
3. Some combination of the above.
4. The Alaska Highway.

The more I write, the more I realize the permutations are nearly endless. I've done a lot of different routings, but I've only done the Alaska Highway once. It's my least-favorite route. I'd use it again if the weather made it the best choice, but not for any other reason.

I've done it in as few as two days (in a 95 knot airplane) and as many as five. Just depends on the weather, and how long I decide fly in a day. That two-day trip was 10 hours of air time each day, not counting time on the ground and fuel stops, etc.

I've gotten several responses with interest in joining me already. I promise I'll get back to each of you within the next day or so.

Andy

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Flight to Alaska

Post by flyusn99 »

Andy,
Its funny you brought up your flight, as I'm heading to Anchorage in my MX-7-235 this summer as well. I'm from Ketchikan, born and raised but in the Navy now stationed in Whidbey Island, WA. I was planning on doing the trip in late May early June when the weather is better but if you'd be interested in someone in loose trail we might be able to arrange something. I've got a set of Baumann 2720 floats I'll be putting on in Anchorage and then immediately turning around and heading south again but the flight up with another aircraft might be an added perk. Let me know what you think.

James

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Mrs TIB is telling me to get on a plane. lol. Wish I had the mulla. :(

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

very tempting

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Sorry everybody; I've been off-line for a few days. I made a minor update to my profile, and somehow that locked me out for a while. I'm assuming Christine got me back on,so thanks for that!

For those who sent me PMs, I'll get back to you today.

Flyusn99,
Yeah, might be fun to fly together. Logistics of meeting up will depend on which route I choose, and that will depend on the weather, which will likely make it a last-minute decision. Let's keep in touch, especially as the time gets closer. To make The communication simpler, feel free to email me at youngan1@yahoo.com.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Just picking his thread up again, as it's getting close time to head south. This time I'm looking for a copilot to come along on my trip FROM Alaska back to the lower 48. You can read my original post above for details, but essentially, I am offering to provide the airplane, do all the logistics, weather planning, decision making, handle the border crossing, etc., as well as show you how it's all done, to as great or as little a degree as you like. You contribute fuel. Someone from this list came up with me in the spring, and it seemed to me that he found it to be a valuable, rewarding experience. I'll let him jump in with his own thoughts if he's interested in doing so. I think in the end his fuel cost ending up being about $1300.

My departure from Alaska will be in mid-September. I need to be here through at least the 15th, but I'm somewhat flexible after that. Probably like to leave between the 16th and the 18th. My destination is Colorado. I could drop you off somewhere enroute, or you could come to Colorado and fly home commercial from Denver.

Let me know if you're interested, or if you have any questions.

Thanks
Andy Young