Partner for Flight to Alaska

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You have to quit this stuff. I would LOVE to make the trip but can't! You are killing me! Have a great flight home. Sorry we didn't connect this summer.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

crbnunit wrote:You have to quit this stuff. I would LOVE to make the trip but can't! You are killing me! Have a great flight home. Sorry we didn't connect this summer.
Sorry you can't go! Yeah, it's hard for me to connect with people in the summer, with my remote location, 14-hour duty days, and six day work weeks. I'll almost certainly be in Eagle River for a few days before I leave. If you're anywhere near there, maybe we can get together for coffee, or a quick trip out to the Knik or something. Or just ogle each other's airplanes.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That is a possibility. I'm still waiting to get mine back from the mechanic. I had hopped to hear something today.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Andy,
I never saw your reply until now. Glad your trip went well. I ended up crashing my MX-7 a couple months ago so never made the trip up, but just flew back from Oshkosh with an older M-5-235 on Aqua 2400's. Give me a shout if you end up passing through Oak Harbor. Also, if you know anyone looking for a set of Baumann 2720's with Maule rigging let me know. I've got a set in Anchorage that just became extras...
My number is 907-617-9568 if your account locks up again...

James

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hi James,

Sorry to hear about your M7. I'll certainly give you a shout if I end up in the San Juan's anywhere. I've used Oak Harbor several times.

Andy

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Andy,
I've got to ferry an MH-60S back up from San Diego from the 19th to probably the 24th or 26th or so and then I'm headed up to Ketchikan on or around the 29th of September for a week, but you've got my phone number so just give me a shout a day (or a few hours out) and I'll have a courtesy truck for you if need be. If I don't hear from you have a safe flight and maybe we'll do a form flight up next year...

James

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

flyusn99 wrote:Andy,
I've got to ferry an MH-60S back up from San Diego from the 19th to probably the 24th or 26th or so and then I'm headed up to Ketchikan on or around the 29th of September for a week, but you've got my phone number so just give me a shout a day (or a few hours out) and I'll have a courtesy truck for you if need be. If I don't hear from you have a safe flight and maybe we'll do a form flight up next year...

James
Thanks James,

Sounds like you won't be around when I head through, and I'll probably be east of there anyway, but will certainly give a shout if timing and location work out.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Andy,
No worries. If it works out great, if not maybe see you next year. In a completely unrelated note the 1976 M-5-235 I just bought in Oshkosh and flew back to Seattle on Aqua 2400's is down. The passenger side forward float strut ear on the inboard side busted off.... It always seems like something. At least Aqua is still in business...
Well, good luck on your trip back to Colorado. Let me know if I can help.

James

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Well, here we go again! I'm heading back to Alaska to work for the summer, and looking for a co-pilot. I will be departing around the 20th of April, give or take a few days.

I work for an air taxi in Alaska during the summer, and head up each spring in my Maule to go to work. I have done this trip over a dozen times, by many different routes, and have a wealth of knowledge to share on how it's done. I provide the airplane, do all the logistics, weather checking/decision making, route planning, border crossing, etc. I share as much of that or as little as my co-pilot desires. The idea is to provide the opportunity for someone to:

A. Have the trip of a lifetime, and
B. Learn how it's done, so they can feel more confident in perhaps doing it themselves one day.

Per the FARs we split the fuel costs. In addition, I charge a fee for doing the trip logistics, as well as the training given in how to plan and carry out a trip like this. Expect total costs for fuel and the fee to be about $1300. In addition, there will be costs for your lodging, food, and incidentals.

Note that this is NOT flight instruction, and I am not a CFI. I will fly left seat, in part to avoid possible problems with my insurance company. The co-pilot will fly right seat, and is welcome to do as much of the actual flying as they like, though I will likely do all the landings, and perhaps the take-offs as well, depending on comfort levels.

The trip usually takes three days, though I like to plan for five or six, so as to allow weather days. Haven't needed the extra days the last few years, but it does happen. As mentioned at the top, I plan leave sometime around the 20th of April. I will be departing from Boulder, Colorado.

You can read more details, and at least one trip report, in previous posts to this thread, as well as here:

http://www.maulepilots.org/forums/viewt ... ght=alaska

Please let me know if you're interested in joining me for the trip, and we can talk details. You can reply here, Pm me, or perhaps easiest, just email me directly at: youngan1@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Andy

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

And here we go yet again! Please see previous post (from March 30 last year) for all the details. The only change is that this time I'm leaving on April 19th, weather permitting.

Several folks have gone along with me on these trips over the past few years, and it seemed like they all found it to be a very worthwhile experience.

If you or anyone you know is interested in joining me, just send me a PM, or even better, send me an email directly, to:

Youngan1@yahoo.com

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Not this year Andy. One day though, it sounds like a blast.
Fancy being able to tell your mates you made a flight over a number of days from central US to Alaska, whilst they are making some dull cruise there with their wives. :ch

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hopefully you can come someday. I've actually got someone for this round; just signed up the other day. Young guy, with 300 hours; good way to move forward!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

When funds and health align I will pre-book Andy.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

And fuel is cheaper this year!
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Just picking up this thread up once again, as it's getting close time to head south. This time I'm looking for a copilot to come along on my trip FROM Alaska back TO the lower 48. You can read my original post above for details, but essentially, I am offering to provide the airplane, do all the logistics, weather planning, decision making, handle the border crossing, etc., as well as show you how it's all done, to as great or as little a degree as you like. You contribute fuel. You can read the earlier posts in this thread for details, and/or just ask.

My planned departure from Alaska will be on October 3rd. My destination is Spokane, Washington, which has good airline connections to the rest of the world. Rough estimate of costs (excluding your food, hotel, and airline tickets) is about $800.

Let me know if you're interested, or if you have any questions.

Thanks
Andy Young