Rudder "trim" tab - like it or not?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

1.The rudder trim, correctly described as the T handle on the panel connecting to a tab on the rudder peddle, was installed on the Maule specifically for torque/P-factor during take-off an climb. While in cruise flight it should not be needed. If it is needed then there is a rigging problem. Incorrect dihedral, improper T handle/cable adjustment, twisted ailerons, improper flap installation, to much or not enough rudder return spring adjustment, improper wing warping adjustments....etc etc.

2. The servo tab on the rudder itself was specifically installed to aid in adverse yaw tendency while turning/banking thus connected to the aileron cables. This tab is not needed but may or may not be required as a factory installation in order to maintain an airworthy condition of the airplane.

FURTHERMORE,
The tab on sn#1, still at the factory, is covered with fabric, not aluminum for those that are interested.

Call it what you want but that is what it is for!

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

...and another thing 8) here is a photo for those that are unfamiliar with the T handle cable attach point to the rudder peddle tab.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Beamerpilot, no, the servo tab has no connection to the upgross.
M4 upgross went from 2100lbs to 2300lbs.
M5 upgross goes from 2300lbs to 2500lbs.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I guess Maule should change the term "rudder servo tab" to "rudder turbo encabulator". The rudder "trim" control is a pretty simple device to put additional tension on the right rudder cable. The fact that it only adds right rudder tension implies that the airplane has a tendency to yaw left in flight. Maule Flight re-rigged my MX7-180 during the re-build and I find that to be true. I think this control would be more useful as a true trim tab with connections to both sides and a trim wheel in place of the T-handle. The servo tab would operate more like the elevator and its trim system then.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

andy wrote: Maule Flight re-rigged my MX7-180 during the re-build and I find that to be true.
That would be me!

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

The Piper Cherokee line uses the very same principal of rudder trim. The only difference is Piper uses an adjustment knob in the center console. Turning knob to right increases spring tension for right trim. However it is a little different in practice than our systems as turning knob to left beyond neutral will give you left rudder trim.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

cfiipilot

Post by cfiipilot »

andy wrote:I guess Maule should change the term "rudder servo tab" to "rudder turbo encabulator". The rudder "trim" control is a pretty simple device to put additional tension on the right rudder cable. The fact that it only adds right rudder tension implies that the airplane has a tendency to yaw left in flight. Maule Flight re-rigged my MX7-180 during the re-build and I find that to be true. I think this control would be more useful as a true trim tab with connections to both sides and a trim wheel in place of the T-handle. The servo tab would operate more like the elevator and its trim system then.

All propeller aircraft have a tendency to yaw left in a climb in flight, the Maule answer is the spring load to the right rudder. A left spring load is not needed.
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

From a 1960's Bee Dee M-4 Brochure.

The rudder tabs coordinated connection with the ailerons allow the pilot an ease of flying offered in no other aircraft. Once airborne, you can remove your feet from the rudder pedals and use only the wheel.
Also, the early M-4s did not have the "rudder trim" T handle. I juat added one to Susan Maule's M-4 sn# 48

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

cfiipilot wrote:
andy wrote:All propeller aircraft have a tendency to yaw left in a climb in flight, the Maule answer is the spring load to the right rudder. A left spring load is not needed.
Only RH turning Props.... If you've got an engine that turns LH Rotation, it'll yaw to right... Other then some twins, most US mnfr'd aircraft have RH engines, but there are actually quite a few LH turning engines, mostly of European ancestry.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Digging this thread up - was a topic of discussion at the Lonestar Maule gathering.

What I want to know is - if there were supposedly 6 built without the rudder servo tab, can I (legally) remove mine? I hate the dang thing. I'm not flying an Ercoupe, if I want/need to be cross controlled I don't like having to try and overpower the safety net with my inputs.
TJ Van Matre

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I would think only if you added the bungee interconnect that the ones built without the tab had (reference Jeremy's comment on page one of this thread) and not sure how you would reference it because of serial numbers.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The first 6 M7-235 of 1984 had no servo tab but did have a bungee interconnect similar to what many other manufacturers had.
The tab has been on Maules since early round tail M4, and is on the smaller rudder M5, M6, and early MX7 and on all larger rudder Maules.
It is an anti adverse yaw device to help oppose drag developed when an aileron is deflected, and is completely over ridden with rudder use.
It does not work in reverse, ie when rudder is used that does not affect the ailerons at all. The aircraft can be manouvered for hands off the yoke turns while taking pictures through an open window for instance.
A good feature of the Maule is its aversion to stall spin. When in a slip thus cross controlled, the rudder is not able to keep the airplane front end up for too long. I see this as another of BD Maule's interesting design ideas.
The servo tab is part of the certificate and some may have removed or disconnected it However the Insurance company will spot it quickly.
Last edited by maules.com on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The servo tab is fun to talk about on the ramp when people ask about it. If it does anything useful I couldn't say.

The rudder trim seems to help a little.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

And if you want to extend your takeoff roll distance by 50% use the -7 flap setting.
According to a friend...
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

And if you want to extend your takeoff roll distance by 50% use the -7 flap setting.
According to a friend...
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus