Rudder "trim" tab - like it or not?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
pilot
100+ Posts

Rudder "trim" tab - like it or not?

Post by pilot »

I have one of six Maules ever built that does not have the turn coordinator tab on the rudder. If you could, would you change out the rudder (when recovering your plane) to add this feature?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

No. Flown them both ways and it flew much better with out.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I can't tell that it does much one way or the other.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Great conversation piece though. Same with the negative flaps.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I haven't flown a Maule without the tab but if it doesn't make too much difference in handling I think I would rather keep it without one to reduce complexity and weight.
That and you can say you have "1 of 6", if these were anything like collector cars it would be a rare find.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Two 1/16" cables running 2/3 the length of the aircraft, 4 acorn nuts, a couple of pulleys, spring tubes to the rudder, funky cutout in the rudder, flappy little tab... Not much weight. A pound maybe? That said, I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The servo tab actually has some purposes.
Many other light aircraft have a more intrusive interconnect directly from aileron to rudder.
Maule built 6 M7 in 1984/5 with bungee spring direct interconnect but we didnt like it and the servo tab was back in service.
One may notice how spin resistant the Maule is. Try fully cross controlled at 45 mph at stall attitude in any other aircraft.
Try setting up a banked turn with aileron and rudder then neutralizing both then with hands and feet off take all the pictures you want of the circled target with no deviation of the airplane.
Re -7 flaps, the most speed increase I have seen is 6mph, I got 4mph in an MXT demo yesterday at 100 F and 2500ft. Depends on temp alt and cg position whether you will gain or lose speed.
The BIG advantage of the -7 is in the landings for both taildraggers and especially trigears.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Am I right in assuming the -7 makes the biggest difference at lower weights and altitudes?

If I'm higher or heavier I note I have to increase the angle of attack more so the reduction in induced drag with the negative flaps is not helpful.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

No rules on this.
Just set up cruise for 5 minutes and note the IAS, then change to -7 wait 5 mins and check IAS. It takes a few mins for the airframe to find its lift/drag equilibrium.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

jeremy wrote"The BIG advantage of the -7 is in the landings for both taildraggers and especially trigears."

(sorry just 'cause I fly a star rocket doesn't mean I am a rocket scientist :-))

what is meant by this? I don't believe I have ever landed with -7, and only dump from 40-0 after touch down...should I be going to -7? or??what am I missing?
Mark
cj8vet@gmail
MXT-180
N234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If floating on landing because you are faster than needed, raising flaps sets the airplane down on ground so you can use brakes.
If going all the way to -7, the flaps are up and negative lift is applied at back of wing behind main gear thus helping hold tail down and thus placeing max tyre friction for best braking plus keeping the nosewheel up so it does not share any of the aircraft weight, or in case of taildragger, helping prevent noseover in max braking.
Judicious use of aft/up elevator is of course part of the action.
Re trigear, this is why its a good idea to have a skid attached at tail rather than the tiedown triangle which either imparts shock load on blacktop or digs into dirt allowing rudder to touch ground.
The trigear can be three point landed rather like a taildragger.
Skid can be a recurved leaf of Maule tailspring.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Jeremy -

Could you please give a little more information about the Tailspring installation on the TriGear.

Do you have any pictures of one installed, where can one be obtained, and is a 337 required?

I need to do the Vulcan Mind-Link on you so I can stop asking you endless technical questions!

Thank you...........................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A maule tail spring bottom leaf bolts to same place as trigear tiedown skid.
It angles down at 45deg. Half way down the slope bend it parallel to bolt up section. Remove tiedown skid and replace with flat bar to clamp useing all existing bolts. Wt change negligible.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Instead of just placing a bent tailspring on a Tri-Gear, why not just place a whole Tailwheel assembly with an actual wheel.

I think it would keep the rudder out of any dirt and add yet another unique feature to the unicorn of all planes, the Maule.

Any thoughts?
MXT-7-180A Comet

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wait, weight.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide