Rudder "trim" tab - like it or not?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The servo tab sometimes does some counter-intuitive things on my MX-7-180. If memory serves, in a left bank some opposite rudder is needed to keep the ball centered. However, I haven't spun the airplane so I'll trust Maule's design to make it less stall/spin resistant.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

andy wrote:The servo tab sometimes does some counter-intuitive things on my MX-7-180. If memory serves, in a left bank some opposite rudder is needed to keep the ball centered. However, I haven't spun the airplane so I'll trust Maule's design to make it less stall/spin resistant.
Mine does the exact same thing (MX7-180A) in a left bank needing some right rudder.
Also in normal cruise I'm about a quarter-to-half ball out of coordination to the right. Haven't messed with my rudder pedal trim too much, but I think I've got that maxed out.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Stinger wrote: Also in normal cruise I'm about a quarter-to-half ball out of coordination to the right. Haven't messed with my rudder pedal trim too much, but I think I've got that maxed out.
I thought it was just me.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Stinger wrote: Haven't messed with my rudder pedal trim too much, but I think I've got that maxed out.
You can certainly replace the spring under the right kick panel, also you can look under there and adjust the cable housing shorter if possible.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

pilot wrote:
Stinger wrote: Haven't messed with my rudder pedal trim too much, but I think I've got that maxed out.
You can certainly replace the spring under the right kick panel, also you can look under there and adjust the cable housing shorter if possible.
I thought I'd read that somewhere, and maybe even Jeremy offered the procedure for it. Just have to get behind there now and take a look.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Also, when adjusted properly if you still have it pulled way out and not enough then go back in the fuselage and move the spring on the right rudder cable attach point to stretch the spring a little more. Then you need less from the pull cable. Just don't tighten it so much that you have to push the trim all the way in and hold a little opposite rudder too on decent.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

gbarrier wrote:Also, when adjusted properly if you still have it pulled way out and not enough then go back in the fuselage and move the spring on the right rudder cable attach point to stretch the spring a little more. Then you need less from the pull cable. Just don't tighten it so much that you have to push the trim all the way in and hold a little opposite rudder too on decent.
Is that accessible through an access hole, I do I need to send my smallest child down the tail with a flashlight?
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It sounds like some do not have the rudder trim bungee spring system (not the servo tab) adjusted correctly.
In cruise, the T handle should be a tad more than half it’s travel. The shank has index marks on it. Do not over tighten the T handle lock or the ferrule will turn in the panel. In climb you can pull the T handle all the way out to rest the right foot, in descent push T handle all the way in and no need for much left foot. IF the plane is Rigged Correctly.
Personally I set for slow cruise and hardly ever touch it again. I like to rest my right foot on the pedal lightly in cruise so if the right foot pressure changes my foot muscle memory will automatically reset the pressure to keep me on track/heading.
Adjustment is by moving the outer sheath through its clamp on the airframe so that the spring is just taken up with T handle fully in. Make sure the bell crank is not fouling the insulation there, and all is free in movement.

Those having difficulty in turns, Initiate the turn with rudder and aileron but then neutralise as the turn developed and the plane will make the turn.
Those having trouble centering the ball, take into account the viewpoint. Because the instrument six pack is offset to the left, with a headset on, one has to contact the left window to get close to a straight on view. The ball is set back in the instrument from the markings and appears a quarter ball out to the right. The butte in the seat will centre the ball.
Sometimes I come across Maules that are rigged wrong because the rigger does not understand the servo tab system and uses its adjustment on the aileron cables or by bending it to rig the yaw. Not the best way to rig the plane.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Chris, I understand the small child concept. You can remove the panel at the back of baggage compartment and it's not that far back there.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

So, what's the easiest way to "temporarily disable" said rudder servo tab?
TJ Van Matre

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Disable

Post by VA Maule »

Probably , take the little control surface skin off but leave the controls horn in place and put the bolts back in the control horn axel so it can't walk up or down maybe make a top & bottom spacers to keep the the position of the axel/ horn and cables.
The best Government, is less Government.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Do Not allow that servo tab achieve flutter lest thy rudder depart thee
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just a quick related note.. My rudder trim suddenly stopped working a few weeks back. I finally pulled the kick panel today and found the spring had broken. I’m sure it’s a generic spring, but Hopefully Maule has one sitting in a bin.