What's your EMPTY weight?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule Wacko S/n 4001C to 4132C (132)
The one M7 with long wing and hd top skin built special order in 1994/5 is in my hangar.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:D
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

This one was a custom order for me when BD was the boss and knew what counts. It has the A model aileron too.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Wise men

Post by chazdevil »

Firstly to xwildcat. Thanks!
This has been a fantastic thread as Maulewacko mentioned. I've enjoyed your work on this a great deal.
Secondly, Jeremy, I would Love to hear all about the "special" you had built. I am continually impressed by your wisdom and the options for your personal ride would be enlightening.
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

maules.com wrote:This one was a custom order for me when BD was the boss and knew what counts. It has the A model aileron too.
Well, it makes a big difference as the PP numbers show... and I'd keep hangaring it if I were you.
andy, I corrected your gross wt. The table looks like this now...

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I like to get on the chart also. Mine is a 1993 M7 235A (serial number 4119c) now after over a year of trying to get the FAA to finally change the model number it is official. We put on the longer aileron. This is one with the long wing. Empty weight is 1602, gross 2500. When we did the rebuild it has some extra plates welded on the tail assembly base, an extended baggage compartment, bigger inside fuel tanks (46 useable) and welded float fittings. Plus the muffler has some extra hardware (studs) internally. The top skins on the wings are also heavier than stock (I don't remember the thickness).
Best regards,

Rhys

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

Here is one not on the chart yet.

1986 MX7-235 (#10036C)
Empty weight is 1491, Gross weight is 2500; Useful load is 1009
Wing area is 157.9

Thanks xwildcat

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Alright guys, thanks. The table above is updated.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

xwildcat wrote:Alright guys, thanks. The table above is updated.
Supercool, xwildcat. When I am back in WA next week I'll give you the data of my MX7 though it will probably prompt me to buy an 235hp next time...
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Ahhh, lists....who can resist 'em?

1983 M6, 235hp, EW=1503lbs, GW=2500lbs, Wing Area=165.6
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

BudG
100+ Posts

EW

Post by BudG »

Wow BatMaule !!!

Is your bird stripped to the bone inside? I thought I was doing pretty good at 1555 EW. I shaved 90lbs off in a rebuild. You have the long wing too! Cool.

Rhys, you did great at 1600@

CAVU2U

BUDG
MX7 235- short wing

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Paper weight. Ain't it a wonderful thing? :?

Actually, the biggest revelation to me on the chart is just how MUCH these planes weigh! I thought mine was on the heavy side! I'm still a little mystified at just where the weight comes from. The Maule is, arguably, an overgrown Pacer which typically weighs 1100-1250lbs. There is a little more tubing in a Maule, a little more wing (in some Maules), and a bigger engine (the IO-540 in my M6 weighs 100lbs more than the O-360 I had in my last Pacer.) I'm not sure where the lead is hidden but it really seems to me that there are some major weight saving opportunities straight from the factory. I mean 1700lbs+ on a base M9 with little tires! Come on! That's C-185 territory.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Surprises me too especially seeing many of the 180hp models (supposedly 100lbs less engine weight) being much the same weight (or heavier than the 235's). I was also surprised how optimistic my previous 'paper weight' was compared to actual when put on the scales.
I can't imagine how I'd start loosing a couple of hundred pounds out of the aircraft :shock:

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

I agree. Our planes are too chubby. Especially given their design and mission profile. Like I said, ounces make pounds... and they make them fast and sneaky. BatMaule added you to the table, which now looks like this...

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

xwildcat wrote:Like I said, ounces make pounds... and they make them fast and sneaky.
x2 on that. Everyone should a list of items they could lighten or simply remove. We needed a prop and spent an extra ~4k? to go composite and loose 15-20lbs off the nose which at the time we thought was a huge bennifit.

Now lets see...
Light weight starter ... ~10lbs
Old Collins Nav that is non functional and just filling a hole ... 4lbs
Old Colins Com that is functional but has never been used ... 4lbs
Old auto pilot servo that remained in wing after non functional head was removed from dash to make room for the JPI 740 ...3.5lbs
Non Functional carb temp (replaced by JPI 740) ...1lb
Non Functional Amp Meter(replaced by JPI 740) ... 0.5lb ??
Misc clean up under cowl which would include removing 1 of 2 oil coolers and assiciated hoses fittings ect ... 5lbs (previous owners poor idea)

If we want to get drastic the JPI shows MP and RPM .. not saying i would but for argument sake we could remove
Mechanical RPM ... 0.75lb
Mechanical MP ... 0.75lb
Once we have all the functions of the JPI figured out we could remove the old EI fuel flow ...1.4lbs
Old egt (just filling a hole after JPI install) ...0.25lbs
JPI shows fuel quantity, oil pressure, oil temp, cht, fuel pressure so all those old unreliabe guages can go ... 2lbs ??

Total = 33.2 lbs
Except for the ~$400 light weight starter this is ALL FREE "clean up" work

Of course this is all hypothetical paper weight calculations and I am not suggesting I will do all this but even if we realize half this weight it would be close to what we saved by buying that expensive prop :shock:

When i need a battery ... maybe even before that time .... it will be an odysee and i am sure there are other things that could be added to the list too.

Make a list you would be suprized ... and tempted ...